Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: How well does your '98 CRV cool the vehicle?
Cools Very Well 1 25.00%
Cools OK 0 0%
Barely Cools 3 75.00%
I think it stinks! 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
cbobbett
AF Newbie

Question 98 CRV Poor A/C Performance

We purchased a used '98 CRV that had an A/C compressor go out this summer at 83k. I thought the AC was pretty poor at cooling the car before it went bad and was hoping when I had the new one installed, it would work significantly better. But it doesn't. Here in Texas, we sweat with the air on max even if we have been driving on the HWY for an hour! When they fixed the AC, they installed the Honda kit replacing all the major components include the compressor. They also changed the AC air filter. It does cool a little bit better than before, but I recently had to tint the windows to make the interior temp. more pleasant/bearable in the summer.

Does anyone else out there find the A/C has trouble cooling the car? If so, have you found a particular cause or is this just the best I can expect?

Just curious,

Chris
cbobbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
terbennett
AF Newbie

Re: 98 CRV Poor A/C Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbobbett
We purchased a used '98 CRV that had an A/C compressor go out this summer at 83k. I thought the AC was pretty poor at cooling the car before it went bad and was hoping when I had the new one installed, it would work significantly better. But it doesn't. Here in Texas, we sweat with the air on max even if we have been driving on the HWY for an hour! When they fixed the AC, they installed the Honda kit replacing all the major components include the compressor. They also changed the AC air filter. It does cool a little bit better than before, but I recently had to tint the windows to make the interior temp. more pleasant/bearable in the summer.

Does anyone else out there find the A/C has trouble cooling the car? If so, have you found a particular cause or is this just the best I can expect?

Just curious,

Chris
I live in So. California and I must admit that it takes quite a while for the CR-V to cool off. The main culprit is the glass. When I was calling around to get a quote on window tinting in my CR-V, many tint shops referred to the CR-V as "The Greenhouse" because of how much glass this truck has. You don't realize that your windows are bigger than most mini-utes until someone points it out to you. That's the sacrifice for good visibility. Tinting the windows helps drastically. I noticed immediately that it's a lot cooler inside and my A/C doesn't have to work as hard anymore. The 2002 and up CR-Vs already have the rear dark window tint (on the EX models). That's probably why.
terbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
cbobbett
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 CRV Poor A/C Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by terbennett
I live in So. California and I must admit that it takes quite a while for the CR-V to cool off. The main culprit is the glass. When I was calling around to get a quote on window tinting in my CR-V, many tint shops referred to the CR-V as "The Greenhouse" because of how much glass this truck has. You don't realize that your windows are bigger than most mini-utes until someone points it out to you. That's the sacrifice for good visibility. Tinting the windows helps drastically. I noticed immediately that it's a lot cooler inside and my A/C doesn't have to work as hard anymore. The 2002 and up CR-Vs already have the rear dark window tint (on the EX models). That's probably why.
I have never considered the amount of glass being an issue. Even with the "greenhouse effect", I assumed a good tint that blocks 60-65% of the heat would solve my problems. I really like the vehicle, and have had to just let it go (that is until summer comes back around!!). You know what else I think it is (and this probably goes along with your greenhouse idea)? I think the sheer volume of air inside, which gets super heated like a greenhouse, really gives the AC compressor a run for it's money. The older CRVs are large enough inside to benefit from a dual AC system. Oh well! Thanks for the insight into the "greenhouse effect".
cbobbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
andrew_alfonso
AF Newbie

Re: 98 CRV Poor A/C Performance

both of you have good points about the cause of poor a/c performance. I own a '97 CR-V and I too am not satisfied with the A/C. What I did was tint all the way around and improved the A/C a bit. But not on hot, humid days. I moved here in Chicago, and coming from the deserts of Southern California (where I bought my CR-V), I believe the cause of poor a/c performance is the lack of fan blower power inside the cabin. I own a Toyota Sienna but even with all the windows around it, turning up the a/c at full blast with the fan speed at max cools the interior at no time. Not with my CR-V. I did hope that Honda installed a more powerful fan motor, more powerful a/c compressor and added rear vents to cool the cabin quicker. And I also find the "rheostat" type of fan motor switch flimsy to operate. I think this switch also contributes from obtaining the true power of the fan blower.
andrew_alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V