Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:26 AM   #61
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

in the traffic jam, it could indeed be great...but only in this cae

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:02 AM   #62
Route666
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by -cy-
Ok, i notice a lot of people learn on older cars and not so important ones. Well, this is going to be my car for a while and i wanna keep it from the damage of learning if possible.
Just buy the car you want, you'd have to be really, and I mean REALLY crap to do any serious damage. But if you do end up doing damage, you'll have to replace what... the clutch, and the gearbox, whoop de doo. If you damage more than that, it would be from idiotic driving rather than unskilled learning.

White Zombie
Route666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #63
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
Quote:
Originally posted by Route666
But if you do end up doing damage, you'll have to replace what... the clutch, and the gearbox, whoop de doo. If you damage more than that, it would be from idiotic driving rather than unskilled learning.
I've had my formula (6 speed) for about a year and a half, and i'm fine with manual, and have been for a long time.

Anyways, the car did need a new clutch and some tranny rebuilding (syncro's and a shift fork or 2) which was due to the first owner, being that the tranny was already screwed up when i got it. Thats not a cheap, little deal. A decent clutch runs around $800, and a GOOD one will run up to $1000, not including install price (i install my own stuff, so that doesn't matter for me though)

The rebuild, not including the clutch, ran me $1200...a tranny isn't a cheap thing to work on.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:23 PM   #64
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitzen Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzen
Quote:
Like everything I do I'm a natural.
Showoff! :o

Im gonna be doing my test in a few months time, so Id also like too know:

-Is it neccesary to downshift when stopping too a halt, if so, does it get confusing too downshift when braking, as in too much work and things get on top of you?

Those who know the Evo 6 cannot explain. Those who don't know the Evo 6 cannot understand.
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #65
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitzen

Showoff! :o

Im gonna be doing my test in a few months time, so Id also like too know:

-Is it neccesary to downshift when stopping too a halt, if so, does it get confusing too downshift when braking, as in too much work and things get on top of you?
Where I did my test drive,in Belgium, it was necessary to be able to downshift when braking, but only when nearing a red stop light and slow moving or stopped objects.

I don't think it gets confusing at all ; downshifting is the only thing you have to focus on in the beginnning, and just use the brake to stop from 20 mph to 0 and to make your brakelight light up.

But I guess if you practice, it will go as a blast and love it in no time !

As said before, The manual tranny is way better for enjoying driving.

Peace , Olivier
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #66
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
I took my test in an auto tranny car, i dunno about the rules for downshifting while coming to a stop in a manual.

As far as getting confusing, it ca be kinda weird at first. Once you drive some and get used to it, you'll be able to go from gas to brake and downshift smoothly. Just practice.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:55 AM   #67
B16 SiRII
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to B16 SiRII
I learned to drive manual trannys on a Vietnam era 5-Ton military truck. Training for the Marines required it, yet soon after learning to drive these huge POSs they phased them out...the trucks are all auto now (to my dismay!). They had the longest clutch ever...I was practically kneeing myself in the stomach with each shift! And it didn't help to have a pissed off instructor all over your ass about stalling...but you can't help stalling. So I got him a little more pissed, lol!
B16 SiRII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 08:00 AM   #68
IntegraBoy94
AF Newbie

I learned by driving an automatic like a standard, but My integra is a automatic, cause my rents gave it to me, I crashed my Honda Civic which was a standard, just make sure u let off the clutch and press on the gas at equal intervals, or else it could stall, nothing is more embarrassing then stalling on a road or a hill

dave
Old 07-31-2003, 05:51 PM   #69
1300cc of pure sam
AF Newbie

I learned on a 86' 323, which wasn't hard, but i did manage to accidentally lay a patch on my first attempt at starting(quite a feat in that car, even purposely). You'll stall lots, bounce lots and maybe even spin the tires a few times, but don't worry about damaging the car.
1300cc of pure sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:26 PM   #70
MaxSteel
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MaxSteel
i learned manual when i was about 6-7 years old back in poland. i drove a tractor which was manual ofc so i got the experience that way..when i first drove my grandpa's audi (when i was 11) it was manual aswell and i had no prob driving it. (it was out in the country so you never ever see cops)

Gots my SR20DET swap now
MaxSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #71
Trooper of Doom
AF Newbie

Most cars here in Brazil are manuals, so that's what I learned with. I can't stand auto cars, just too boring... I feel old when driving an auto car, lol
Old 10-07-2003, 03:27 PM   #72
Mamerto
AF Newbie

Re: How did you learn manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cy-
Alright, i am almost 17, been driving for about a year and a half (including when i had my permit) on ONLY AUTO's. No one in my family or close friends have manuals. The one time i got to drive stick was 2 times with an '85 subaru station wagon, and i didn't so too well. Anyways, i am looking into cars like a Firebird Formula and with any car with power i want a stick for fun and because the car deserves it. My worry is about messing up the clutch a lot learning on the car i get. How did you learn?

Try this http://www.10w40.com/individual/100186.asp
Mamerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:52 PM   #73
nismo4banger
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to nismo4banger
Me and my brother worked in restaurants when we were fifteen and managed to put our money together and buy a 90 4 door integra. We actually bought the car before we got our liceances. He learned how to drive manual from a friend and he taught me in a church parking lot. Even though he was still pretty new at it, I got the hang of it on the first day. I won't own anything other than manual. You feel like you have more control over the car.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:57 AM   #74
runningmole
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to runningmole
Re: How did you learn manual

I learned how when I was looking for a Mustang to buy. I just went to little dealers that had them and they let me test drive them by myself! I do feel bad for who-ever bought those cars though....man did I ride the clutch when I was getting used to the manual!!!
Blue/Titanium 2tone, 5spd, 3.55s, JBA ceramic shorties, catted H-pipe, dumped Magnaflows, MSD goodies, FMS alum rad, Pro50, balanced/blueprinted forged 327 stroker (8.2 compression), AFR 185s, Performer RPM, 70mm TB, FTI custom cam, SFC, In-floor Subframes, Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm and Panhard Bar, H&R Springs, Bilsteins, MM CC plates, 5 Lug Conversion w/ Silver Bullitts. Full accessories including smog legal. 310rwhp 351rwtq Dyno Dynamics Dyno. Soon to be supercharged
runningmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:55 AM   #75
blues02TA
AF Enthusiast

Originally I was gonna go with an automatic when getting ready to buy my '02 TA, but everyone said I'd be much happier getting a 6-speed especially in a sports car. They sure were right! I had a crash course driving a stick in a Jeep Wrangler exactly one weekend before buying the TA. So, I pretty much learned on my new car, but it didn't take long at all... call it incentive, I guess... (however stalling can get quite embarrassing at first).
blues02TA is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General