Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
AF Newbie

Geo Tracker Sleeper (wanting tips/help)

Hey there, I just joined here! So my first car was a 1996 Geo Tracker, the 3 speed automatic 2 door soft top version. Eventually I will be buying a beater much like it, and I was going to make it a sleeper. Since I'm still in the research stages, I would like to gather some of your guy's tips on this upcoming project.

So to begin, I thought I would start dirt cheap and simple, and worry about reliability later on since I have another vehicle already. Seeing that the third generation Ford Taurus sedan is a very plentiful model that always sells dirt cheap (From their questionable reliability, as I have heard) I would think that's a good start since it has decent power and from my previous experience doesn't have heat issues. I know it's definitely not that fast at all, but hey, it's a start and quicker than the stock 1.6L I4 the Trackers come with. Would that engine even fit in a first gen tracker? I've seen Ford 302 engine swaps in Trackers, but not many other engines.

As for transmissions, I'm all ears, I don't have any in mind quite yet, but hey, if a third gen Taurus sedan transmission would fit, then that's a plus, since I could just buy an entire Taurus and swap all the engine/transmission.

If you have better recommendations, do share. I would like to keep parts under $1000.
0101000000110101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Geo Tracker Sleeper (wanting tips/help)

Taurus is fwd, not sure how you would adapt that transmission into a tracker. There is not enough room to mount the engine sideways like in the taurus to run the front wheels
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker