Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #46
Gridgirl
AF Regular

Re: In Progress: Tamiya Fiat 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
You tease, you!!
I do my best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirata12
Just a question. How would you make tyre valves?
I hadn't thought to do tyre valves. I guess short lengths of thin stretched sprue would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzero
did you mask sections off and airbrush it or are some panels brush painted? the wash on the seats is incredible and realistic, never even thought of using a wash on something other then an engine part.
Thanks! I masked them with Tamiya tape, and airbrushed them. I tried doing it with Gunze masking solution, but it just wouldn't work! Anyone know how to get a decent edge with this stuff?

Yeah, I think the wash helped alot. Straight black was too dark, but a dark red worked great. I especially like how it looks around the window cranks (do Poles have a different word for them, too? ) and door handles.

And as for the almost done, just a couple of finishing details to add.

A bottle of wine,

a picnic blanket,

and a pair of sunglasses.

The bottle of chianti wasn't actually raided from Gionc's cellar- although the idea is tempting!

Instead, it was turned out of acrylic rod (yay friend with lathe!). Painted gloss black (because a good bottle of red isn't transparent at all), and the neck was painted gunmetal mixed with clear red, to look like foil. The label was cut from a spare decal.

The blanket is ordinary printer paper, with a plaid grid drawn in red waterproof ink.

It was cut out, dipped in diluted white glue and folded to shape.

And the sunglasses was made using the jig that came in the Campus Fiends set.

The lenses are drops of Tamiya clear smoke, drawn across the wire loops and allowed to dry. They're even transparent!

All set for a day out! I was thinking of adding a loaf of bread, a round of cheese, and a picnic basket- but the back seat of the Fiat is pretty tiny. I think this will get the idea across, though- really, what more do you need but a blanket and a good bottle of wine?
Gridgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #47
alakai
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to alakai Send a message via Yahoo to alakai

Amazing job, I like the little details that bring out the car.
Good idea for including the blanket because there's not much room in the Fiat for a couple of amorous/drunk Italians.
alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #48
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Uff! what an amazing job!!
Those extras are amazingly creative - I think it's the blanket the impresses me the most - so simple yet it looks real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridgirl
I hadn't thought to do tyre valves. I guess short lengths of thin stretched sprue would work.
I've just used little lengths of wire in the past (see Jean Paul IIRC) - adds a nice kind of effect I think. Although you might wanna think twice about playing with that BEFORE your show - just in case (knock on wood)

Quote:
I tried doing it with Gunze masking solution, but it just wouldn't work! Anyone know how to get a decent edge with this stuff?
I'm currently in love with Humbrol Maskol which I guess is the same kind of stuff. Never had to make a straight edge with it yet, but I have read somewhere that you can cut the edge with a scalpel once it's dried. We might want to try that out on a bit of scrap though. If it's true could be a useful tip.

Quote:
I especially like how it looks around the window cranks (do Poles have a different word for them, too? )
You bet they do!!

Quote:
And the sunglasses was made using the jig that came in the Campus Fiends set.
You really got to post some picturres of what's in that set!!

Quote:
what more do you need but a blanket and a good bottle of wine?
Well......

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #49
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Dig the interior details. Any model with junk inside's got my vote. Really brings these little lumps of plastic and paint to life. Fantastic work, so far.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:24 AM   #50
pirata12
AF Regular

Mama mia!!!
pirata12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:17 AM   #51
Wheelin75r
AF Enthusiast

Details all the way!!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #52
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

how could I miss this ???

Great, a nice and clean built, fine details !

How about a meeting??
You with the FIAT 500, I with my Citroen 2CV (see here: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=334394 )
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #53
cham2020
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to cham2020 Send a message via MSN to cham2020 Send a message via Yahoo to cham2020

you really put guy modellers like me to shame with your awesome build !
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #54
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
The bottle of chianti wasn't actually raided from Gionc's cellar- although the idea is tempting!

I'm sorry a polish firend drunk all my cellar, now I call him STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE OUT OF MY CELLAR NOW! hic burrp

I think this will get the idea across, though- really, what more do you need but a blanket and a good bottle of wine?
well just to be elegant I've a couple ideas: ok for the bread but with SOPRESSA that's like a big&fat salami -the better stuff you'll put on a piece of bread or PROSCIUTTO CRUDO DI PARMA that haven't a yummy translation

Well your work is fantastic, and is interesting to see a different creative approch that our "burned oil and tyres" appeal: I love it, you push me to start one of my cincen: stevensky, do you like one more twosome? I'll convert my abarth in a giardinetta

BRAVISSIMA!! (also haven't a traslation but fit very good, more and more good)
Old 03-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #55
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
I love it, you push me to start one of my cincen: stevensky, do you like one more twosome? I'll convert my abarth in a giardinetta
Oh sure, a two way. I see how it is....
Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #56
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
Oh sure, a two way. I see how it is....
ah ah Steve the guy's jealous: well just keep a "cincen" Andy and we'll do the 500's trio. All my respect my marshall
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #57
Gridgirl
AF Regular

Well, I didn't quite make it to NNL. Got sick on Friday, and by Saturday, I just wasn't up for the drive. Didn't even feel up to building.

But to quote HAL 9000, I'm feeling much better now. And NNL Mid Atlantic is only a month or so away. So, back to work!

Not alot left to do, mostly detail parts (and there are alot of them- tiny little chrome bits everywhere!)

I put the windows in place.

The chrome trim is BMF, and the black is masked and painted. Stuck in place with 'Krystal Kleer'- I think a good hard sneeze from across the room might knock them out. Good thing I'm feeling better!

I tried to mask and paint the taillights, but they were just too small.

So I hand painted them instead, and I think they came out well- better than I expected!

I masked the mirrored part of the wing mirrors with a spot of white glue, and sprayed them with X11 to match the rest of the trim. I think it's a good effect.

And finally the retractable roof. The kit part is decent, but maybe uninspiring. After making that blanket, I wanted to try something less solid plastic looking.

So, I took an index card, and traced the shape of the closed roof onto it (Tamiya of course includes both). Then it was folded up accordian style, and dipped in white glue cut with water. The brass rod was bent to shape using the kit part as a guide, and once the paper was dry, it was glued in place using CA glue. Another thin strip of paper covers the rod (again, more water and glue), and the whole thing was painted up. The handle/lever thingy is just bits of strip styrene.

Test fit in place:

Almost done!
Gridgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #58
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Quote:
Almost done!
Almost fantastic!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 AM   #59
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionc
Almost fantastic!
Almost?!?!?

Great work Gridgirl! I think you might have discovered the next best thing in modelling since clearcoat - index cards and white glue

When I finally get round to making my "Klutzmobile" projekt, I think I'll be making use of this idea because for sure Klutz has a rag-top

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:43 AM   #60
KTem
AF Enthusiast

Looks great, love those little details! When painting taillights, it's not necessary to mask and spray. You can just paint the inside of the clear part in the desired color; comes out great with no brush strokes visible from the outside!

KTem is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street