Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #1
jamaicanbadboi
AF Newbie

not feeling V-Tech

ok here's the deal, i recently bout a 94 civic and i test drove it and everything before i bought it and everything felt fine. Felt fine for someone who was just taught how to drive stick only a few weeks before. to cut a long story short. i mad a couple friends drive my car and everyone is telling me that the car moves well but the dont feel when the V-Tech kicks in. my question is, do you really feel significant power from the V-Tech once it kicks in or is my engine ok and my friends are being assholes. if something is wrong please tell me what is wrong and what i can do to solve the problem. take a look at what my car here www.cardomain.com/id/jamaicanbadboi
jamaicanbadboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
you dont really feel to much when it kicks in, but your car will sound differently, check your oil level, if it is too low, VTEC will not engage.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whiteracer Send a message via Yahoo to whiteracer
i love the way people talk about it like it's some sort of powerful mechanism waiting to be released.........Here come's vtec!!!! wooooshh!!!!! Taking of like a rocket guys!
Old 08-13-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
Ricochet
Banned

Why is this in the JDM forum and not tech support... and god dammit it's VTEC not V-TECH. VTEC makes a bit more sound (with an intake and exhaust maybe) on an EX and that's it. It's a 127hp sohc engine, what do you expect? On my civic type r engine it is a rocket blast, especially in 1st and 2nd gear, but mine has almost 60 more hp than you and it's a dohc.

Buy an LED, wire one side into the green/yellow striped wire coming off your ecu, and ground the other side, and see if the light turns on while you're driving hard. I think VTEC engages around 4500rpms on the EX so look for it to light up around there. If it doesn't, then it's not working and we can go from there.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #5
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
I'm not feeling their phones either, shitty range.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
johnnyboy5
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to johnnyboy5
another thing to get straight, does ur honda even have VTEC?
I mean u didnt even mentioned that the civic had it when u bought it or if u put it on later. If it doesnt have the VTEC, well of course its not gonna kick in!
johnnyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

"Vehicle: 94 Honda Ex 4 Dr"

Ex=vtec
Old 08-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
S1 Type-R
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to S1 Type-R
I used to have a 96 Civic EX coupe and I could never feel the V-TEC on it......But I could hear it working.....

Like the privious posters said you cant expect much form a SOHC

WWW.SQUADONE.NET

S1 Type-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

I'm out to prove that previous statement as wrong as i can.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #10
S1 Type-R
AF Enthusiast

Heh...

Im not trying to bag on SOHC.....but from my experience with em its simply smarter to swap to a DOCH....

WWW.SQUADONE.NET

Old 08-13-2003, 04:57 PM   #11
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

yeah, maybe i should, it would be the easy way out.
yeah, maybe i should, everyone else is doing it.
yeah, maybe i should, with a 200 hp sohc i wouldn't get any respect like i would with a 200 hp dohc
Old 08-13-2003, 05:13 PM   #12
S1 Type-R
AF Enthusiast

Have you taken it to the track out there?
What time did you get?

Only reason I ask is there is only so much you can do with SOHC.....Yes I have found some to be fast turbo, Supercharged, and NOS....but I have only seen them as full race..... are you full race? street?

Ive taken my Type-R to the Carlsbad raceway here in the San Diego Area and hit a 14.2 and planning to run at the pomona raceway and see what I do out there.

WWW.SQUADONE.NET

Old 08-13-2003, 07:05 PM   #13
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by S1 Type-R
Heh...

Im not trying to bag on SOHC.....but from my experience with em its simply smarter to swap to a DOCH....
Really, huh? Smarter money wise? Nope. "anything a B-series can do, a D-series can do cheaper..." I good quote I plan to live by.

Smarter as you don't have to by lots of parts to make it work? Nope, swapping can actually be more of a hassle in some cases, esp. when swapping out for a JDM motor.

As quoted by Hurrikain on ATLhonda D-series message board...

Quote:
Okay now for all you little boys and girls out there here is the shit that you need to know before hand about why B's are for bitches.

1. Everyone is doing it, dare to be different in a world of sameness
2. Price. It will cost on average to swap a B16 around 3,000 dollars. You are looking at getting a deal at that price. The motor will run around 2G at the least and installation and wiring is gonna run you a 1000 at most shops. A GSR(B18C1) or LS(B18B) are gonna be more for the motor and tranny looking nearly 4500 there. It is true an LS can be picked up but did you bother to research the tranny issue? Type R is 6G for the motor, tranny, ECU. All these prices are arbitrary and dont reflect things falling off trucks, people who know people, or someone that can do the work (right the first time) themselves. Might as well swap an H it will be less. And then at least you'd have my respect.
3. Torque. You cant beat a 90mm stroke no matter what. 77 is okay I guess if you like all top end charge and no streetable low end. the bigger B's do have similar strokes it is true, but they also have bigger ports that dont help the torque department. Also refer to Item #2.
4. D's are plentiful when you break, B's arent and they are expensive.
5. If you dont know about the Birds and B's you should give me all the money you saved for your swap so I can SPEND it on something worthwhile since you arent. If you are gonna build a street car you have come to the right place. If you are gonna build a RACECAR that isnt gonna be driven on the street and be built to run in modified or Hotrod or Sport FWD, then consider a B, ONLY IF IT IS A RACECAR and not street driven.

Consider the following link to support my claims about the prices:
http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bi...l?action=index

Realise that the straight B16A is only a direct drop in for the cars listed. Any other will require and OBD1 to OBD2 conversion harness as well as a Cable to Hydraulic conversion dealio and these arent exactly 100% cheap.
I mean must much more really be said about this debate? Yeah, I like a nice tuned B16 just as much as anyone else here that's all for them, but they AREN'T your only choice for more hp and quicker and faster speeds, I mean honestly. Do some research on this people.

As for the SOHC VTEC matter, it's a known fact the D16 VTEC doesn't kick the seat of your pants like it would in a Prelude, or Integra, but you should be able to tell the differance if you know what to hear/look for and know exactly when it kicks in. Also make sure you VTEC parts (solenoids and such) are all working correctly. And like mentioned, hooking up a VTEC indicator light wouldn't be a bad idea either.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 08-13-2003, 08:00 PM   #14
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverY2KCivic

Really, huh? Smarter money wise? Nope. "anything a B-series can do, a D-series can do cheaper..."
Whoever said that is an idiot. Can you boost a stock D series 14 PSI safely? Hell no.
So a untouched B18B1 is boosting 14 PSI, making 250+ WHP. Lets see any stock D series do that. You have to drop in about 3 Grand in internals to do that.
Lets see, D16Y8+14 PSI=Connecting rod(s) venting the block - not to mention the piston(s) that just blew out through your hood along with the head. Oh one other thing, the tranny is 50 feet back laying on the ground too.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:35 PM   #15
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

It all depends on the internals used. Not all D-series internals are as weak as you think. And D-block parts can be just much interswapped between eachother, as B-series internals. Before ASSUMING too much, you oughta maybe check out the facts for yourself before you assume on something others are too afraid to try, and take the "easy way" bandwagon out. That's all the B-series is, a lazy man's fad.

hessemer69 on AIM

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical