Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 06:11 AM   #91
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Okay, for starters, I had a D15B7 in my car orignally, now it's a 97 B18B1. I can notice the increase tremdously with the ls (w/ a cold air and cat-back exhaust, only costed like $350 total give or take, I think a little less). Point is, even my girlfriend can tell the difference, the car don't bog on steep hills, or hills on the freeway, the LS motor's low end torque really pulls the light-weight civic. Lets face it, low-end torque rules the streets. Most races, especially street races (if you are into that, I DO NOT street race) are won in the first 60 ft. The LS is a better base to start with, plane and simple. Sure, you can throw 5 grand into a D15, but it stats out with 90-100 flywheel hp, so you need to gain 40-50hp just to CATCH the stock LS in HP. We all know that will cost a lot, it will require a complete re-build on a d15 or you'll most likely blow it up. Thats 5 grand and you are comparable to the LS. There is no replacement for displacement. Say you spend 3k on the LS swap, completed and installed, $2500 if you do it yourself or get a good motor price. I have seen people pull it off for less than that. Thats still 2k more on a bad day, 3 k on a good day. Build yourself a turbo kit, that's plenty of mo ey to do it if you make your own kit. An LS block can handle 12psi on stock internals when tuned right, no problem. SO there you go, 5k 250whp for the LS, or 5k, what, 150, maybe... 180 on the D15? You I'll take the LS, plus it will have gobs more low-end torque than the d15, and isn't even close to maxing out it's pontenial. An LS can achive 400-500hp boosted and build-up. Good luck getting a 400-500hp D15. Sure, a sohn cam d-series can be built up, we all know that. I have seen some very fast ones. But it's alla matter of goals and trade off's. If you want to prove and show the world what you can do with the d-series, by all means do it. For others, a b-series swap or an ls/vtec or cr/vtec are better options. Still, that doesn't change the fact, the LS, or any b-series, ina better base to start with, when it comes to attaining high speed and power. They have mopre potenial for higher output, which translates into a greater pontenail for higher speed. If you want to build-up a d-series, thats cool, but I am sick of this agruement, it's everywhere...."d-series build up is the way to go, b-swaping sucks and is dumb" or "build-up a d? Bad idea." geez, look, we ALL know the b-series is a better base engine to start with, higher intital stock hp and torque output and much greater hp and torque potental. Still, that doesn't mean it's the choice for everyone, like I said earlier, it's about goals. Swapping or building up a b might fit one person's goals, but not anothers. I personally am well aware of what a sohc d-series is capable of, but it's wasn't what I felt I wanted to persue with my money.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:56 PM   #92
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug
Preach it, brotha!
Old 09-19-2003, 08:18 PM   #93
ra227
AF Enthusiast

eckoman_pdx is right. Let people do what they want to- if you disagree do it constructively- if you can't, than don't answer. I to am tired of people being called stupid or getting a hard time because they want to choose a diff. route. All people want here is some bitchin' info yet most of the time they just get the bitchin' .
ra227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #94
HondaIntegraXSI
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HondaIntegraXSI
Re: GSR or CR-V????

V-tec is not the choice to turbo charge. a non-vtec would be good. I would say B20B since it has lover compression than the B20Z. 12 psi sould be safe to run on a stock motor with adj(retarded) cam gears,a fuel pump,and injectors. 235-26hp would be my est. as far as how much power your motor would make @ the flywheel

You'r V-8 can't touch this!!!! Honda Integra XSi
HondaIntegraXSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:32 AM   #95
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

Quote:
Most races, especially street races (if you are into that, I DO NOT street race) are won in the first 60 ft.
No true at all. I've raced numerous cars, most of them have a torque advantage on me, and most always they get the holeshot, like in the last race I had with a cavalier. He jumped about half a car ahead, and wound up lossing by about three lengths. he lost because once you convert torque numbers to Hp numbers and factor in rpm range, get your usable powerband, then torque becomes a usless number, so his 150 to my 111 got hammered.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:00 AM   #96
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Okay dude, I'm not gonna get into this past this post, because up until the last guy bought this thread uslessly back from the dead, this thread was pretty much dead. Look at the Dates. Other than the last guy's comment out of the blue, the threads been dead for 2 months. I am not saying you couldn't smoke him, racing has ton's to do with the driver. I am guessing you are a probably a pretty good driver. In general, low-end torque rules the streets. Most people will tell you that. The reason I said in general, is because a really good driver can compinsate for this quite a bit. I am guessing you are a good driver. He's probably shifting at a point that drops him out of his powerband, while your shifting at the optimimum point. That's why he maybe alunched a little better, cuz of the torque, but if he's not a good shifter, he's shifting at a point other than the optimum point, dropping him out of his powerband. The result, he ends up not properly using his power and torque. You end up using your power band, while he doesn't optimize his. But don't go calling torque a useless number. Low-end torque is what will pull you up that steep hill without having to high rev, and low end torque will pull you off that line quicker. Sure it'll will give you the quicker 60-ft. You even agree'd. You're right in the respect low end torque alone won't win you anything. Cuz after that 60-ft time and good start, if he doesn't shift properly, he's out of his power band, rendering his torque and power at less then optimal levles, while you juice your motor for every once it's worth. Driver for driver, though, I'll take the low-end personally.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #97
Thepeug
Quem queritis?

Send a message via AIM to Thepeug
Haha, I haven't seen this thread in awhile.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:45 PM   #98
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepeug
Haha, I haven't seen this thread in awhile.
No kidding, I saw a post, read the response and my first thought was..WTF, this is a dead thread.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical