Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-5
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 07:42 PM   #1
mjp
AF Newbie

Question 2003 Saab Aero Sportswagon

Hi! Does anyone out there have any feedback on the Aero Sportswagon? I love the styling and value. I am getting mixed input on whether it requires premium gas or regular - which is it? Any input would be appreciated!:alien:
mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
HikaRu
AF Enthusiast

premium

who gives regular to their precious?
HikaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:36 AM   #3
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Premium, it can run on regular but with reduced power.

The Trionic 7 system measure ionisation in the cylinders and adjust the engine parameters if neccesary.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:07 PM   #4
mjp
AF Newbie

SAAB Aero Fuel

Appreciate your feedback on this. I thought it was a bit 'fishy' to hear the power/fuel economy spec using regular. Premium makes more sense. Thanks
mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
housolaw
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Saab Aero Sportswagon

I purchased a 2003 Linear 9-5 station wagon and my transmission went at 60,000 miles. Does anyone have any info on whether anyone else has hadthis probelm> Thanx
housolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
boomerbman
AF Newbie

My '01 linear wagon gets better mpg with premium, but that's offset by the increased price per gallon. I didn't noticed any knocking with the middle grade stuff. I stopped using the middle grades though, because I noticed that the premium gives a much smoother idle at startup.

I run Mobil 1 syntec that I change myself. You can find it at walmart on sale for $19 for 5qts (sam's club is about $22 for six 1-qts). The premium Fram filter at $9 is better than the filter that saab uses (saab rebadges the mobile 1 filter that goes for $12.99 at pep boys). Walmart carries a comparable filter to the mobile 1/saab one for $7 (DG3614). I chose the $9 one (XG3614) because it's rated at 7K miles. I want to be sure my filter lasts longer than my oil between changes. I change the oil and filter every 5k-5500 miles. For saab to load you up with synthetic, they'll charge you $60, $30 for the semi stuff. I'll pass on that, since I run synthetic.

At 60k miles I'll let the dealer have it though, so they can run through the manuf maintenance list of things to check and replace.

Hope this helps
Boomer
boomerbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
roaldrd1
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Saab Aero Sportswagon

I have a 2002 9-5 Aero wagon,5 spd. auto(would have rather bought a stick,but they dissapear to damn fast)..bought it almost 2 yrs ago with 23k . Someone else had 3 yr lease on it b4 I bought it..Since ,I now have 70k on it.After getting all the bugs out of it..b4 the factory warranty was up,I had the throttle body replaced,per the dealer they said a code called it out.Had the crank position sensor replaced,it would stall out on me sitting in traffic,anywhere or time it wanted,no rhyme or reason.Had the ingnition cartridge replaced per the callback...and since the baby is a regular road rocket..I've gotten used to the auto,after driving 9000 sticks for 12 yrs.Changed over my oil changes to full synthetic Mobil 1 about a yr ago..every 5k now with the fram filter..My rear tires were wearing bad on the inside , A four wheel alignment straightened those issuses,but my master front end guy told me the rear sat too low,and couldnt get the rear camber in completely...I jacked up the rear to swap a tire and the right rear shock just relieved itself of all it's hydraulic fluid in big puddle.I since have replaced the rear shocks and springs(piece 'o cake job) with the Aero Wagon load leveling kit...$540(from Saab) ...and wow what a difference in the rear end height(gonna have to get my 4 wheel align checked agin though)..and those gas shocks are 3 times the size of the standard Aero shocks.I do have a 3000lb hitch on the back for pulling my jet ski or hanging my mountain/road bikes on the rear,I've even pulled my 10 ft aluminum double wide snowmobile trailer fully loaded with stuff...no problem..
I dont like the idea of seeing 'GM' on parts on my Saab..I feel that this has something to do with all the issues I've had with this baby so far....
And as far as gas grade goes..all Saabs have antiknock sensors which allow the engine management to adjust the engine vitals as necessary to eliminate pinging,which in turn gives you less power and mileage...But,like HikaRu says..."who gives regular to their precious?".........Not I>.....
roaldrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote