Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
jabranko
AF Newbie

Noise from Engine Bay

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I notice this something that almost sounds like a clatter/knock type noise, it's not extremely loud but it can be heard from outside the car or inside the car with the windows rolled up and radio off in a silent area. It's only when the car is in drive or reverse and only with my foot on the brake, if I let off the brake and let it start idling and moving the car the sound disappears immediately. Also it disappears if I put it in neutral or park. The other annoying thing is it comes and goes, but it usually doesnt happen from a cold start, only after driving around for a bit and coming to a complete stop (the sound doesnt start even when decelerating, it's only when the car comes to a complete stop and then it "kicks in") in a parking space or at a light and even then sometimes it doesnt occur which is why my last 3 trips to different toyota dealers have come back with no results because I'm having trouble duplicating it at the dealer every damn time. I found a post similar to this but there didn't really seem to be an answer.

From what I've read a rod knock will get louder as you accelerate so I don't think it's that because the noise completely disappears when I even tap the gas. I've found many rod knock videos online and my car sounds nothing like that but I can't find any videos that show what a main bearing knock sounds like or when it would occur.

So the point of this post and my questions are-
1.What kind of knock would only happen in drive or reverse at a dead stop and go away when accelerating? (if it is even a knock)
&
2. Do main bearings knock only when stopped in gear and disappear when accelerating? and would any kind of knock happen only sometimes? Under what conditions does a main bearing usually knock?

Thank you in advance.
jabranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: Noise from Engine Bay

Check all the heat shields on the exhaust system. 90% of noise complaints I receive are from heat shields that have rusted away and started flopping around. They can come and go, and generally only rattle in gear at idle.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote