Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
TonyMadrid
TonyMadrid

2013 Ram 1500 Brake Shudder

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 standard cab p/u with a full size bed. The truck has approx. 34000 miles and at about 32000 miles the front brakes began squealing and I figured it was the warning tabs letting me know the pads needed changing. Well, I bought new pads and the old ones still had meat but were glazed so I replaced them. I had a hard time removing the pads from the calipers and the new pads didn't come with hardware/springs. I was able to re-use the old springs. The brakes seemed fine for about 1500 miles and then I started to get a shudder, not a pulse, from the front. I disassembled the front and on the right front I noticed that the rivets on the back of the inside pad had created score marks onto the surface of both pistons. I decided to replace both front calipers, with new pads and new rotors, along with new hardware. well its been about 500 miles and I'm getting the shudder again.
Has anyone encountered problems with the front Ram brakes, and if so what is the remedy.
I have considered buying high performance calipers, pads and rotors but I don't want to spend the money if its not ultimately necessary. But if I do go that route, can anyone recommend a decent aftermarket brake setup?
TonyMadrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 2013 Ram 1500 Brake Shudder

I would get the rotors checked first, then replaced or resurfaced if necessary. If that's not the problem, maybe there's an issue with the calipers. Performance brake parts would probably help, but I'm not sure they'd be strictly necessary.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
TonyMadrid
TonyMadrid

Re: 2013 Ram 1500 Brake Shudder

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I replaced the rotors, the pads, and the calipers and the problem us still there. The symptom is brake "shudder". Usually warped or out of round rotors will give you a pulsing pedal, different from a shudder.
I also made sure to lubricate the caliper pins which, if dried out, could cause a shudder condition.
My gut is telling me it may have something to do with the anti-rattle spring clips that go over the pads ears and slide within the caliper housing. I think it may be a poor brake design and that's why I'm considering aftermarket performance brakes
TonyMadrid is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10