Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
RevRMD
AF Newbie

A/C Compressor seized...or not?

Hello,
I have a 1995 Lumina APV 3.8. The compressor was bad so I bought a remanufactured one from Ebay Motors. I kept it in the box for several months then the other day decided to swap them out. I removed the old compressor and then noticed that I cannot turn the clutch by hand on the remanufactured unit. I thought it might be seized, but then watched a video on YouTube that showed a compressor that looked like my reman'd unit and the video said that the clutch will not turn by hand. Here is a side by side on the old compressor (left) and the new (remanufactured) one (right). I CAN turn the clutch by hand on the old unit. Should I be able to turn the clutch by hand on the newer unit? if it is seized, I sure don't want to install it!!
Many thanks.
20160716_165459.jpg
RevRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: A/C Compressor seized...or not?

Yes you should be able to grab the front clutch plate and rotate it.......

Now sometimes compressors come empty, and some come filled with oil.....

You will have to check if the new compressor is filled with oil....there should be a fill plug on the side.....

But first, you should drain the oil in the old compressor into a measureable cup....remove the fill plug and drain.....if you get 2 oz. or less, you will add 2 oz. of oil to the new compressor.....if you get more than 2 oz., then add the same amount to the new compressor......

So remove the fill plug on the new compressor, and remove all oil from the compressor, and discard......some are shipped empty.....if you can't rotate that compressor clutch plate(the pulley should freely rotate about the clutch plate), there is something wrong with that compressor....use the correct PAG or Ester oil......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
RevRMD (07-18-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
RevRMD
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Yes you should be able to grab the front clutch plate and rotate it.......

Now sometimes compressors come empty, and some come filled with oil.....

You will have to check if the new compressor is filled with oil....there should be a fill plug on the side.....

But first, you should drain the oil in the old compressor into a measureable cup....remove the fill plug and drain.....if you get 2 oz. or less, you will add 2 oz. of oil to the new compressor.....if you get more than 2 oz., then add the same amount to the new compressor......

So remove the fill plug on the new compressor, and remove all oil from the compressor, and discard......some are shipped empty.....if you can't rotate that compressor clutch plate(the pulley should freely rotate about the clutch plate), there is something wrong with that compressor....use the correct PAG or Ester oil......
Thanks. The compressor takes 8oz PAG 150. It came empty. I tried to find the YouTube video comparing the 2 compressors and the compressor that was unable to be turned by hand (by deign) looked just like my remanufactured unit. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a compressor where the clutch was unable to be turned by hand. I will continue to look for that video and post a link if I find it. Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Your compressor will turn if you make it--yes they get tight when sitting on shelf, but as soon as you install it, it will turn... No one ships out "seized" units, the axial plates secrete a resin that glues the shoe discs to the axial plate, it will break loose, I guarantee it-- you can also use the spanner wrench made to turn compressors- by putting compressor in a vice and using the span ner wrench.

I worked for the company who made these- and did several studies on what you describe- there is not a problem- just that you need a little more leverage to break it loose....your hand and wrist won't do it alone.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
RevRMD (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
RevRMD
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcidd View Post
Your compressor will turn if you make it--yes they get tight when sitting on shelf, but as soon as you install it, it will turn... No one ships out "seized" units, the axial plates secrete a resin that glues the shoe discs to the axial plate, it will break loose, I guarantee it-- you can also use the spanner wrench made to turn compressors- by putting compressor in a vice and using the span ner wrench.

I worked for the company who made these- and did several studies on what you describe- there is not a problem- just that you need a little more leverage to break it loose....your hand and wrist won't do it alone.
Thanks!! So I was able to use a wrench and finally get the clutch to turn - but it was extremely tight. Even with the wrench it is difficult to turn. Is that normal? Even when turning the clutch with the wrench it seemed to hit a couple of tight pots as I was turning it. This is OK to put on my van? Even after I "broke it loose," I still can't turn it with my hands. Is the clutch really supposed to be that hard to turn? Gracias'
Old 07-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Brcidd, I have never run into a GM compressor that did not turn easily, right out of the box..........

RevRMD, your compressor DOES NOT TAKE 8oz. of PAG oil.......the whole system takes 8 oz......, that's why you refill it as I suggested....
Old 07-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

There was a period of time where the resins were changed that caused this-- I spent many a night at dealers, and parts warehouses etc. popping open boxes, turning, breaking loose tight pumps-- testing them on vehicles and on test stands- thay WILL and do work- the longer on the shelf, the worse they were. Fear not... I would have thought they would have been used up by now- perhaps they are still using the same resins on the axial plates..who knows- they laid me off in 2009....
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
Old 07-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
RevRMD
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Brcidd, I have never run into a GM compressor that did not turn easily, right out of the box..........

RevRMD, your compressor DOES NOT TAKE 8oz. of PAG oil.......the whole system takes 8 oz......, that's why you refill it as I suggested....
The compressor did not have any oil in it at all. I pulled the plug and turned it and moved it around and a drop or two came out, that is all. I also replaced the accumulator. It DID have some oil come out, but I was told that I didn't have to replace the oil in the accumulator because when the compressor works it distributes the oil throughout the system. I checked with O'Reilly Auto as well as the local NAPA store and both said 8oz PAG 150 when I replace the compressor and accumulator when the compressor ships with no oil in it. My biggest concern remains how difficult the clutch is to turn with the wrench - still not possible by hand.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

The engine will turn it fine, believe me- it will work okay- you broke it loose, that is all that matters.....been there done that many times.....
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
RevRMD (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I checked with O'Reilly Auto as well as the local NAPA store and both said 8oz PAG 150 when I replace the compressor and accumulator when the compressor ships with no oil in it.

They are wrong......you replace the oil in the compressor like I told you....you add a specific amount to the accumulator.....if you add 8 oz., you will overfill the system with oil....

Off the top of my head, I don't remember the exact amounts, for when you replace an accumulator, a condenser, evaporator, etc., but there are general charts for this....too much oil in that system and that compressor is going to chug...

And too much oil, reduces the cooling efficiency of the system....
Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
RevRMD
AF Newbie

I found the youtube video comparing 2 compressors, one where the clutch turns easily and one where the clutch will not turn. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxsCCz_8VWg
Old 07-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
RevRMD
AF Newbie

I put the oil into the compressor and begin to work the clutch back and forth and it is now turnable by hand. I guess the Pistons just needed to be Lubricated. Thank you very much for all of your help. This is a wonderful forum for do-it-yourselfers.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

No, not the pistons, the shoes as they ride against the axial plate needed the lubrication-- they were stuck or "glued on" by the resin excreted from the axial plate.....as I stated previously.
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k