Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
(_S200_)
AF Newbie

Meguiar's scratch X

so I ve been following the tutoial about using meguiar's scratch X but some how i still get scratches!! The paint is smooth and really shiny but, there are still lots of scrathes, what am i doing wrong? I sanded with 2500 grit sand paper then used scratch X, and I still get horible scratches. any help would be great

thanks
(_S200_) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Scale-Master
AF Enthusiast

What paint are you using? - Mark
Scale-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Re: Meguiar's scratch X

Quote:
Originally Posted by (_S200_)
so I ve been following the tutoial about using meguiar's scratch X but some how i still get scratches!! The paint is smooth and really shiny but, there are still lots of scrathes, what am i doing wrong? I sanded with 2500 grit sand paper then used scratch X, and I still get horible scratches. any help would be great

thanks
Whatever sandpaper you use, it must be able to get the visible scratches out of the finish. If there are still scratches in the finish after buffing w/ScratchX, then you didn't completely remove the deeper/visible scratches in the sandpaper stage.

Make sure the sandpaper is soft...run it over the sharp edge of a table a few times to soften, wetsand, try sanding the sandpaper w/itself to make it even finer, and then when you get to the liquid compound, make sure you are using a very soft cloth and buff the finish-if it's still "cloudy" or hazy then you haven't buffed it enough-you have to work it w/some friction/heat to let the compound do it's job. Just wiping it over the paint half-heartedly won't work. Just don't get overzelous w/buffing as you then run the risk of buffing through edges, or perhaps damaging the body (bending a pillar/post).

Also, for consistent results I recommend Micro Mesh polishing cloths...they are used for wetsanding, and they are excellent. They're pricey, but worth it. They're specifically made for polishing fine surfaces to a high gloss, perfect for use w/model car paint.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
mn80228
AF Regular

I too read the tutorial on Scratch-X and went out and bought some.

I love the stuff. I have had no problems to report, but I wet sand with the micro-mesh polishing cloths before I start in with the scratch-x.

The only other thoughts I can provide are that the polishing cloth you are using might be dirty, and you are scratching the finish with the dirty cloth.

Assuming the cloth is clean, the other thought I had, because I did it once, is that you are pressing too hard with the polishing cloth. I did this once while trying to workout a small area, and ended up scratching the paint with my fingernail, through the cloth.

But it sounds like you just have deeper scratches in the paint than the scratch-x can cover.

As recommended about, I would get some Micro-mesh polishing cloths, and follow the directions, alternating directions as you work your way up through the grits, then finish off with the scratch-x.

With a little patience, you should have great results....

good luck...
Old 05-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
(_S200_)
AF Newbie

thanks for the info.. ill try all thoes things out and hopfully ill be able to get rid of the scratchs. im using tamiya spray paint by the way

thanks again for the info.
(_S200_) is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling