Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 08:51 PM   #1
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Shielding on exhaust system.

My exhaust system has always been a bit buzzy at times, but now it sounds like crap under there! I can actually hear it with the windows up and the stereo on loud. Very embarrassing! Anyway, I put my truck up on ramps yesterday and went on a search for a loose heat shield, but everything seemed tight and I couldn't find anything touching. What I did wonder though is if all this shielding is really necessary. None of my other cars or trucks ever actually had shields wrapped around the pipes like that...just the ones attached to the body. I'm seriously considering just removing some of this, as it really doesn't seem necessary to me. Any thoughts? I'm going to get under there again tonight and look around some more. If I can't find the problem I guess I'll have to take my truck and power wash the bottom and then take it into the dealer. They'll probably find a rock up in there somewhere and charge me $100 to fix it!

The reason I'm thinking it might be OK to remove some of this crap is that the exhaust doesn't really travel that close to anything and surely the aftermarket exhaust systems don't have it and they are fine AFAIK.

I just noticed this starting yesterday too and I haven't been offroading for a few weeks so I don't think it's related to offroading.

Old 06-13-2001, 09:15 PM   #2
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I found a rock in my heat shield that was causing the buzzing.

Doesn't the heat sheid on a 4x4 keep you from starting fires when you drive over tall grass?
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 12:27 AM   #3
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Maybe, but how?

Seems like with it wrapped that tightly around the pipe, the temperature difference wouldn't be enough to keep very dry gras from burning. Regardless, after seeing how that crap is put on now, I'm surprised we don't all have buzzing under there. Yikes!

Here's the latest news:

I got under there again and started knocking on the pipes. Two of the shields made noise when doing this, so I removed the passenger side one first (set of three over there and I removed middle one). Problem still there.

Then, I removed the driver's side one (only one large one over there) and found a broken attachment point. You'll see in the blue circle in the photo where there is an extra little metal piece attached to the shield. It's supposed to be attached to the exhaust pipe but broke off. I believe that is what was making all the noise, as I didn't hear anything on my short test drive after removing it. BTW, the red circle just shows the driver's side shield while installed.

Now what I can't figure out is why these things are installed metal to metal. You'd think there would be high temperature tape or rubber between the pipe and the shield where it touches and attaches, but there isn't. At each spot where a band goes around to attach it, there is a metal piece inside the shield that sits up against the pipe. Metal to metal on an exhaust system like that is just asking for noises and broken attachment points it seems, with all the vibrations inherent in an exhaust system.

I'm not going to worry about tall grass as I don't plan on 4 wheeling in such, but if my shoes start to burn or something, I'll let you all know! I'll leave the shields off for now and maybe later I'll have an exhaust place take a look at it, as I plan to replace the exhaust system anyway; mostly for better routing.

And I hate to say it, but thanks Nissan for using lawnmower quality exhaust components!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shielda.jpg (48.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by ChuckH; 06-14-2001 at 03:42 AM.
ChuckH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 11:18 AM   #4
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

When I was having this problem (heat sheild rattling) about a year and a half ago and my local dealership couldn't pin down where the noise was coming from, I took a shot and removed one of the hest sheilds from right under my driver's door - and I've never heard anything since. That heat sheild has been gone from my truck from about 2 months after I bought it ...
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 01:00 PM   #5
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Well, since there's only one on the driver's side, I guess you removed the same one I did. BTW, the upper strap next to the cat was a PITA. Glad to know you haven't melted your shoes or anything since removing it!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:05 AM   #6
fgarcia
AF Newbie

Re: Maybe, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckH
Seems like with it wrapped that tightly around the pipe, the temperature difference wouldn't be enough to keep very dry gras from burning. Regardless, after seeing how that crap is put on now, I'm surprised we don't all have buzzing under there. Yikes!

Here's the latest news:

I got under there again and started knocking on the pipes. Two of the shields made noise when doing this, so I removed the passenger side one first (set of three over there and I removed middle one). Problem still there.

Then, I removed the driver's side one (only one large one over there) and found a broken attachment point. You'll see in the blue circle in the photo where there is an extra little metal piece attached to the shield. It's supposed to be attached to the exhaust pipe but broke off. I believe that is what was making all the noise, as I didn't hear anything on my short test drive after removing it. BTW, the red circle just shows the driver's side shield while installed.

Now what I can't figure out is why these things are installed metal to metal. You'd think there would be high temperature tape or rubber between the pipe and the shield where it touches and attaches, but there isn't. At each spot where a band goes around to attach it, there is a metal piece inside the shield that sits up against the pipe. Metal to metal on an exhaust system like that is just asking for noises and broken attachment points it seems, with all the vibrations inherent in an exhaust system.

I'm not going to worry about tall grass as I don't plan on 4 wheeling in such, but if my shoes start to burn or something, I'll let you all know! I'll leave the shields off for now and maybe later I'll have an exhaust place take a look at it, as I plan to replace the exhaust system anyway; mostly for better routing.

And I hate to say it, but thanks Nissan for using lawnmower quality exhaust components!

do me a favor and email this photo to me at FKGARCIA@hotmail.com. The attachment doesn't open up form the website.
Franko
fgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
flyins2k
AF Newbie

noises

i ve had my heat sheild give me hell to the drivers side right where the heat sheild ends has rattled and rattled..... ive tack welded it back on three times also my gas tank skid plate was rattling on the passanger side in front really anoying
flyins2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
wobly
AF Newbie

Re: Shielding on exhaust system.

Two words...hose clamp.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote