Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
Hgene
AF Newbie

Aurora door lock troubleshoot

Power door locks on my 2001 Aurrora have stopped working. It seemed to progress. First the rear door locks didn't work, now the rear and passenger door locks won't open or close with key fob or power switch on doors. I can still operate the door latches manually with the door lock lever. Also the interior lights and power windows to these same doors don't work. I examined the fuses under the rear seat and found nothing blown. Any one know what controls all these devices? The driver door operates as normal. Thanks for your interest in helping.
Gene
Hgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
mike98c
AF Newbie

Re: Aurora door lock troubleshoot

I'd start by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes which will reset the computer that controls all tthose functions back to the baseline. Whether it works or not I'd be suspicious of the computer or something connected to the computer.
mike98c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Aurora door lock troubleshoot

Bad ground or low voltage.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
Hgene
AF Newbie

Thanks Mike, I'll do just that in the morning and respond with the results.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
Hgene
AF Newbie

Indy8, bad ground at the battery or somewhere in the door/light circuit? How would I go about checking that out?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Indy8
AF Enthusiast

Check the battery ground strap and make sure all connections are tight. Each fuse block under the back seat has its own ground that bolts to the body. These can be weak ground areas because of the paint on the body, check and/or tighten these.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:02 AM   #7
mike98c
AF Newbie

Whoops, my last paragraph is missing in action. "Also a bad battery can lead to pcm problems. What is the voltage reading and range on your DIC?"
mike98c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:07 AM   #8
Hgene
AF Newbie

You guys are great but a little crazy, look at the times on your thread notes. Thanks for the direction. I'm in Massachesetts. I'll check out the grounds and voltages after daylight and it warms up a little. Peace and blessings.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #9
Hgene
AF Newbie

OK, so here is where I am at.
First, the DIC shows the voltage running very stable between 14.9 and 15.1 volts
2nd. I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and no change in condition, surprised me I didn't even loose my radio stations.
3rd. I looked all over for ground connections. Under the seat I found only two. The main battery ground and one connection that had several black lives running into and to the chasis. I cleaned it up, smothered it with dielectric grease and reattached.
So the condition remains the same.
I'm trying to find a single source for the problem (right or wrong). In testing today:
The rear doors and passenger front doors have the same condition. The power door locks, power windows, and entry dome light don't work from the key fob, the effected door, or from the drivers door module. I also found the passenger side mirror will not respond to the driver door module. All these functions do work on the drivers door from the module, and the key fob will open and close drivers door- the parking lights do cycle when the key fob is used.
So where in the wiring do all these functions pass through, and where in the chasis might that be located, any ideas?
Thanks
PS
am I right that these fuses cloud up on the top if they blow? I have pulled the fuses I thought are associated with doors and windows, but haven't pulled every fuse to check the band.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:18 PM   #10
brihoo2k
AF Newbie

The relay going to the door locks is a double relay and one side only goes to the drivers door where as the other side of the relay goes to all of the passenger doors. This relay is different from the rest of them so if its been switched then only the driver door will work with the fob or the key. If it hasnt been switched then I would suspect it of being bad and only half of it working.
brihoo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:38 AM   #11
Hgene
AF Newbie

Thank you Brihoo2k. I only have the owner's manual, not the service manual. The only relays listed in the owners manual are either under the rear seat or the right front hood. I don't recognize any of the relay descriptions as effecting the doors. Is the relay located in either of these fuse boxes? Can you tell me where on the vehicle I should expect to find the relay you're talking about? Is it one of the omnicron units we are talking about?
Thanks again, I appreciate the guidance.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:31 PM   #12
bustedratchet
AF Regular

The fuses you checked to see if there blown are they getting any power ? You can get a test light ground the one end and probe every fuse without pulling it. The metal tangs come out the top. I looked at your thread and it baffled me. I have the schematics for the door locks, windows, interior lights and mirrors it seems the main thing that ties together is the drivers door module there is a bus interface and some powers and grounds that tie the modules together with the drivers module each module controls the door lock actuator. but I dont see them going to the mirror. I would check for power at the fuses under the seat. Another possibility is broken wires coming out the drivers door going into the body. Now the grounds drivers door module is behind left kick panel, passenger is behind right kick panel, passenger rear module is under right front seat, left rear is under left rear seat.
bustedratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #13
Hgene
AF Newbie

Thank you Bustedratchet, I'll go through this list this morning and make sure I have power at the fuses. I'll open the drivers kick panel and see if I can find where the modules are connected.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #14
Hgene
AF Newbie

Checked all of the fuses with a check light and there is power at every fuse. Not sure what the "kick panel" is I removed both the panel up under the steering wheel and the plastic gaurd along the door well to try and see the door wiring, it is well obscured. The wiring from the door to the body is housed in a rubber boot. I popped the rubber boot off each end but the wires tied up together and I was afraid of causing damage (like I did in removing the door gaurd and snapped a piece of the plastic insert). I pulled out the door module and cleaned it up but still don't know what wires do what. I used a meter and checked ground continuity at a ground connection located under the door well gaurd, that may be the ground bus you are talking about (a connection that joined 6 black wires to a body bolt).
The switches on the three non driver doors don't work. If the driver door module itself is defective, would that stop the door lock and window switches on the individual doors from working?
Old 12-13-2003, 06:06 PM   #15
bustedratchet
AF Regular

The blacks are ground. Serial data line is tan/white. It appears that the drivers door window switch runs right to the drivers module(DDM) pin B4. From there it comes back out the DDM from pin A4. From there it runs to the other door modules. The junction is in the body harness on the left side of vehicle 5.7 inches from left power seat break out. This thing sounds like it's digital ! I don't know if it is fiberoptic or wire you might want to ohm this out from pin A4 to the junction point.
bustedratchet is offline   Reply With Quote