Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
Mohegan1
AF Newbie

Question Harman/Kardon radio

I'll be picking my car up in the next couple of weeks. Since it is a convertible (2004 330i), can anyone tell me how the radio sounds (kept it off on the test drive as it was std anyway). Is it the standard stock disappointment in most cars that needss to be upgraded or is it something worthwhiel. I saw the 11 speakers, optimally placed, amplifier, blah, blah, blah......

Not looking to go thumping, just some real good quality music without pops, cracks or squeals when I want it loud. It's a convertible, so that adds to the mix. I see some posts about replacing the subs and a better amplifier.

Thoughts?
Mohegan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
jrtricarico
AF Newbie

Wink Add the XM Direct Box

Ask your dealer about XM Direct! It's a new blackbox that they can put into your car so you get XM Radio. I heard it on the HK system in a Mini and had to pick my jaw up off of the ground. Digital sound and 100 channels of anything you can imagine. It's not a "BMW" part but if you ask nice they'll order one for you. Best part is it's $299 plus install and it integrates right into the vehicle (including steering wheel controls). You can read more about it in this XM Press Release.

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...003_11_17.html
jrtricarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Mohegan1
AF Newbie

Re: Add the XM Direct Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtricarico
Ask your dealer about XM Direct! It's a new blackbox that they can put into your car so you get XM Radio. I heard it on the HK system in a Mini and had to pick my jaw up off of the ground. Digital sound and 100 channels of anything you can imagine. It's not a "BMW" part but if you ask nice they'll order one for you. Best part is it's $299 plus install and it integrates right into the vehicle (including steering wheel controls). You can read more about it in this XM Press Release.

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...003_11_17.html

What about the antenna??? I have a convertible and don't want some ugly antenna plunked atop my trunk or somehting. It looks OK on the hardtop models but would look funny on a cab, not to mention ruining the lines with the top down.
Mohegan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
jrtricarico
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Add the XM Direct Box

The antenna for the XM Direct is 1/2 the size of a box of tic-tacs. They call it an "ultra-thin microantenna"... it's lightyears ahead of the other antennas that I've seen! In fact the dealer told me that they can also do the install on convertables. They said that wasn't reasonable with the stock system for the reasons you noted above. I finally found a picture of the system at the address below.

Enjoy- http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_de...=RVR-D-001-BMW
jrtricarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:23 AM   #5
JACKALSMITH
AF Newbie

Re: Harman/Kardon radio

I have the Harman Kardon Speaker Package on my 325xi. It is worth the money! SOunds AMAZING!
JACKALSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote