Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 08:16 AM   #1
Simon Bishop
AF Newbie

Unhappy BMW 330i Excessive Engine Noise - A Dream Shattered

I bought a new BMW 330i last month with the M sports package and just about every other available option.

I didn't test drive it (idiot) and now I am so utterly disappointed and depressed: the engine noise is unbearable. My dream car is a nightmare.

I took it back to BMW. They checked it and said that the engine noise was normal for that model. They also pointed out that I did not test drive it (as if I needed salt rubbed into my wounds) and that most people like the engine roar (they claim it goes with the image).

It is pretty obvious now that I bought the wrong model. I wanted a quiet, comfortable, powerful stealth bomber, but I have finished up with a B-52.

Replacing the car is out of the question, I simply cannot afford to do it in the short term.

Does anybody know if there are any possibilities for reducing the engine noise?
I'll consider changing anything, from the exhaust to the engine (if I can get a guarantee that such a change would work).
Simon Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 12:09 PM   #2
nzhuk98
AF Newbie

I have 325Ci and the engine sound gets loud only after about 3500 RPM. It's a different engine, but still if you hear excessive sound below 3500, something is wrong with the car. I would suggest to go to a different dealer and test drive another 330, to know for sure if your car is Ok.
nzhuk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 12:23 PM   #3
PCH
AF Newbie

engine or exhaust?

Is the noise from the engine or from the exhaust / muffler system?

The 330ci I test drove had a loud exhaust. Wasn't sure if they stuck that on the test vehicle so people would think it was cooler or what. I'd think you could get a different system that is quieter without sacrificing hp.

For me.. extra noise is not good... just throws a bullseye on the car for the cops.

-PCH
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 05:15 PM   #4
axboi2001x
AF Newbie

HOW CAN YOU CALL IT EXCESSIVE NOISE?!?! All my friends love the note my 330i creates. Especially the exhaust note! People thought I modified my exhaust when it was still purely stock. And the exhaust gives off a nice deep hum only at low rpm. Maybe you're using steptronic and forgetting to shift? hahaha...in that case you will be redlining everytime. The engine isn't that loud, i just know my house shakes when it's parked in the garage, but inside the car you don't become annoyed by it. Also maybe you're used to Japanese car, where you can't even tell if the engine is even on or off? My father has a 325i, and his engine sounds nowhere close to the 330i, it's so weak and soft. Even the exhaust note is different. If you think the engine noise is excessive...go drive a lexus, where you can't even satisfy all your senses.
axboi2001x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:24 PM   #5
Philip
AF Newbie

I just bought a 325Ci yesterday...it will take 2 months to arrive..I test drove both the 325 and 330....twice...I too felt the engine noise on the 330 was just too late for my taste....while the 330 was very torque and quick off the mark, the 325 has more HP then my Infiniti M-30 and is plenty fast for me.

BTW....Lexus still make great cars...but every time I see one....the guy looks like he is at least 60+ and having dinner at 4pm.

Seriously, I just saw a live 2002 ES-300 and it is probably one of the best looking 4 doors to hit the street in a while.

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 12:00 PM   #6
BMWFAN
AF Newbie

Just bought a left over 2001 BMW 325Ci, despite the GREAT deal I got from the BMW dealer, the engine noise is awesome!! I love how it sounds, I guess its like anything it's an acquired taste?
BMWFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 08:23 PM   #7
axboi2001x
AF Newbie

325 sounds no where as nice as 330. I know because I own a 2001 325i as well as a 2001 330i. 325 just doesn't give you the deep hums you look for in a sports sedan. Also the exhaust...you have to go check it out, i don't see how BMW can get such a deep tune on a STOCK car. pretty incredible!
axboi2001x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 03:57 AM   #8
Simon Bishop
AF Newbie

Angry

Well, yesterday I finally spoke to one of the technical people at BMW headquarters in Munich, Germany. He told me that BMW are not prepared to do anything to cure my noise pollution problem. They claim (justifiably, I suppose) that a lot of time, effort and money was invested in achieving that particular "sound" which is so sought after by their 330i customers. It is now clear to me that BMW would prefer to have a factory condition car on the road with an unhappy driver than a modified, perhaps less performant vehicle with a smiling face behind the wheel. I have known for years that the phrase "customer service" has no meaning in The Netherlands, it apparently doesn't translate into German either. BMWs only suggestion was to take the car to a third party garage and have a third party exhaust fitted, but they would not do this for me themselves.

So, can anybody recommend a good quiet exhaust manufacturer? There seem to be quite a few options for replacing the exhaust to INCREASE the noise pollution, but so far I have found nothing which would make my car less objectionable to me and anybody else who is unfortunate enough to have their ears in the vicinity.
Simon Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 04:10 AM   #9
Sean`02///325ci
AF Newbie

Doubt if any after-market exhaust will be quieter. At most they are stockl like. Besides the engine noise you say is frm the engine bay not the exhaust as much.
Try using Dynamat under the hood and or around the firewall. i heard that's how they make those Camry's so quiet.
`Regards Sean
Old 11-30-2001, 01:48 PM   #10
sq_man
AF Newbie

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Go to a good car audio installer. They have sound-absorbing
material (one make is dynamat - see www.dynamat.com)
that can be applied to the firewall. This will absorb a lot
of sound.

If the engine is the sound source, this should work well.

This is done all of the time in car audio.
sq_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:06 PM   #11
iambozo2003
AF Newbie

Thumbs up 2003 BMW 325i sedan engine full throttle noise.

Hi everyone, I drive a 2003 325i and sometimes it makes some like full throttle noise from the engine when I step on the gas. I notice that if I stop at the traffic light and start driving after it turns green, the noise comes. But lately it all disappears. I did a little trick, but not sure if the trick works towards the noise, but I am so happy about that.

Last edited by iambozo2003; 10-21-2003 at 05:09 PM.
iambozo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:22 AM   #12
ed_crouch
AF Newbie

Re: BMW 330i Excessive Engine Noise - A Dream Shattered

Simon, i notice that you bought the car with the M sports package. This MIGHT include a sporty exhaust - not renowned for being quiet. Either that or the engine may not be in good shape. I know that on the M52 engine (323i), the engines had a habit of knocking little ends out.

best bet is to go and test drive a bog standard one, and have a listen.
I have to say, though, that a 3 litre engine in a medium sized saloon / coupe is a big old lump, and it will make a fair bit of noise about its business.

HTH

Ed.
ed_crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #13
Sexy beast
Banned

Re: BMW 330i Excessive Engine Noise - A Dream Shattered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bishop
Well, yesterday I finally spoke to one of the technical people at BMW headquarters in Munich, Germany. He told me that BMW are not prepared to do anything to cure my noise pollution problem. They claim (justifiably, I suppose) that a lot of time, effort and money was invested in achieving that particular "sound" which is so sought after by their 330i customers. It is now clear to me that BMW would prefer to have a factory condition car on the road with an unhappy driver than a modified, perhaps less performant vehicle with a smiling face behind the wheel. I have known for years that the phrase "customer service" has no meaning in The Netherlands, it apparently doesn't translate into German either. BMWs only suggestion was to take the car to a third party garage and have a third party exhaust fitted, but they would not do this for me themselves.

So, can anybody recommend a good quiet exhaust manufacturer? There seem to be quite a few options for replacing the exhaust to INCREASE the noise pollution, but so far I have found nothing which would make my car less objectionable to me and anybody else who is unfortunate enough to have their ears in the vicinity.
Are you some anti car freak? or are you just bipolar? You do realize you bought a sports car, a loud engine is a characteristic of a sports car!
Sexy beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:53 PM   #14
telebmwgps
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 BMW 325i sedan engine full throttle noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambozo2003
Hi everyone, I drive a 2003 325i and sometimes it makes some like full throttle noise from the engine when I step on the gas. I notice that if I stop at the traffic light and start driving after it turns green, the noise comes. But lately it all disappears. I did a little trick, but not sure if the trick works towards the noise, but I am so happy about that.
I have the similar problem. I bought a BMW 2003 325i 3 weeks ago. During the first week, it ran smoothly. But after that, I heard a humming noise from the engine area, irregularly. I mean sometimes it showed up for a whole day, sometimes it's quiet the whole day. And I realized that it got worse when the weather was really cold. The service people said it could be from low emission converter for this model. But I just don't buy it! Anybody has the similar problem?
telebmwgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #15
F1bimmer
AF Newbie

Smile Want to sell?

That's exactly the car I'm looking for! Want to sell? I Love the throaty sound!
F1bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series