Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
365DaysofMotoring
AF Regular

Jaguar E-Type Series 1½

ON THIS DAY (5 Oct) 1967 Jaguar announced a revised E-type, known retrospectively as the Series 1½. This was to meet impending US emissions legislation due to come into force on 1st January 1968, and this was after it had been delayed some four months by protests from British manufacturers. Jaguar spent £250,000 to enable the E-type to meet these new regulations. The most obvious revision to the Series 1½ was the removal of the perspex headlamp covers and the moving forward of the headlamps by 2.5in. This was another bastardization of Malcolm Sayer’s design, although the Perspex covers did diffuse the headlights. According to Jaguar’s press release of the time, a total of 21 changes were made to the export cars to satisfy US regulations. In October 1967, Autocar magazine tested the latest revised E-type roadster. The car performed best with the hood up, with a top speed of 140mph. With the hood down, it could only manage 130mph. The 0-60mph time was 7.4seconds.
365DaysofMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #2
zephyr27
AF Newbie

Re: Jaguar E-Type Series 1½

Jaguar E type series 1:
I have owned a 1963 3.8 E type coupe since 1964 and a 1963 E type OTS
(open two seater) since 1972. The problem with the triplex glass head light covers (they are laminated glass not Perspex) is that they get moisture in side and fog up in the wee hours of the morning. But they are part of the absolute perfect exquisite beauty of the series 1 E type. For my thinking when they made changes to the car they should not have continued to refer to the revised car as an E type. They eventually made the car Frankenstein --longer wheel base, ugly baby buggy bumpers, bulbous 2+2 body, Heavy V-12 engine, air conditioning, automatic transmission etc etc.

The original E type is still the most beautiful automobile ever designed. Mine are both British Racing Green with biscuit interiors. I have made changes to the open E type to make it the ultimate Jaguar. Aluminum Bonnet, Engine rebuild by Bill Terry to add modern oil seals at front and rear of crank, changes to increase power to 320 at rear wheels on dyno, 5 speed syncro transmission, suspension modifications, brake modification. It is the perfect Jaguar and would not trade it for the F type but have been shopping for an F type. My problem with the F type is it is too much of a puffter with heated steering wheel , automatic transmission ,
zephyr27 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
http://bit.ly/1onhcjv
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > General Discussion