Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
jncdewitt
AF Newbie

92 3.8L apv tcc solenoid location

I have a 92 lumina apv with the 3.8L V6 with 137000miles on it and while it's my everyday vehicle right now it will turn into a project beginning next year. I want the grand national motor in it then, but for now it's driving me crazy. I drove the van on the interstate for 2000 miles without a single problem moving from the east coast to the mid west. but since I've had it here it caused me one problem after the next. First it would just die and not start back due to lack of spark, so I replaced the coil pack, ecu, maf, tps, and the wiring extension to the cam and crankshaft position sensor. That solved that problem. Now for the last 3 weeks it does fine all week long while I only drive it short distances but on Fridays when I have to make a 50 mile trip it gets worm shows me no oil pressure and stalls at the red lights unless i switch it into N and keep my foot on the gas, so I am think (hoping) that it is the Tcc solenoid on the transmission and not the whole stall torque converter, but I don't know where it is at.ANY Help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on swapping out the timing belt water pump cam sensor and crank sensor next weekend and would like to take care of the tcc solenoid then too. Thank you very much.
jncdewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 92 3.8L apv tcc solenoid location

Well the crank sensor was my primary suspect from the start.....
NOw...does it stall because it looses spark at low RPM...(crank sensor again).... ? If it stalls in neutral, then even a locked on TCC would not stall it. TCC stall is frequent with 3T40, very rare with 4T60.
The TCC solenoid with the 4T60 is hard to reach....so instead better simply test the hypothesis by disconnecting the TCC from the outside.
THe TCC plug has 2 wires to the TCC solenoid, A and D. Disconnect either one...
www.avigex.ca/xport/tccconnector.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/transaxle.jpg
BUt at that age, crank sensor is the likely probable culprit. You need a puller and patience to get the balancer out.
www.avigex.ca/xport/ckpphoto.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/cksphoto.jpg
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
jncdewitt
AF Newbie

Question Re: 92 3.8L apv tcc solenoid location

Thank you, I myself expect it to be the crankshaft position sensor. I am going to start on that project on Friday 4 30 10 so that way I have 3 days before I have to drive it to work. Also plan on doing the timing chain then too since I can hear it slapping against the housing at idle (ticking) and then go away when i push the throttle down a little. Any tips are always welcome. I wonder why the crankPS only acts up when it's warm. Mmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0424162306.jpg (94.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 0424162406.jpg (85.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
jncdewitt
AF Newbie

Just really wanted to thank you again LPM
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
LMP
AF Enthusiast

It is absolutely the trademark of the crank sensor to act when it is warm only...taht is, at the beginning. The more it goes, the lower the temp it will start acting. The forums of all makes of cars are full of tales of the one who goes sto the foodstore normally then cannot restart the car after going out with the grocery bags because of the heat that has reached the sensor while he/she was filling the foodstore cart.... then after the ice cream has all melted down....the engine will start again
....replacement of the timing chain with the 3800 is very uncommon....if you do go for that, document the operation with pictures and report the actual play you could measure. 137000 miles is not that much for that engine.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
jncdewitt
AF Newbie

You were 100% right, I finally took the time to change out the crankshaft position sensor....and my problem was fixed, my van purrs like a kitten now. I also want to add that I kept putting it off b/c the crankshaft position sensor is located behind the harmonic balancer and expected it to be a pain...what a surprise when I found out it pulls off by hand after removing the bolt and I was done in 30 min. Again thank you.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
apv , converter , stall , torque , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV