Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
jheast517
AF Newbie

1996 chevy z71 transmission in limp home mode

I have a 1996 chevy z71 truck with a 4l60e transmission the transmission is in limp home mode it seems to work fine when i first drive it but when it warms up it takes off in 3rd gear i check the fluid fuses under the hood hook a scaner to it no transmission codes i can manuly shift throught all the gears with the scaner and they work fine i check the wireing to the trans and it looks good and the wireing going to the pcm i just put a used pcm from the junk yard i bought this truck a week ago and it didnt run when i bought it and now i got it running good and the trans is in limp mode someone please help me thanks
jheast517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 1996 chevy z71 transmission in limp home mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheast517 View Post
I have a 1996 chevy z71 truck with a 4l60e transmission the transmission is in limp home mode it seems to work fine when i first drive it but when it warms up it takes off in 3rd gear i check the fluid fuses under the hood hook a scaner to it no transmission codes i can manuly shift throught all the gears with the scaner and they work fine i check the wireing to the trans and it looks good and the wireing going to the pcm i just put a used pcm from the junk yard i bought this truck a week ago and it didnt run when i bought it and now i got it running good and the trans is in limp mode someone please help me thanks
Was the transmission acting up before you changed VCM/PCM?

To check out transmission or get transmission codes you need a engine/transmission capable scanner.

OBD11 sscanners or code readers will not do transmission problems.

Post back any codes you get from a transmission capable scanner.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
jheast517
AF Newbie

I m not sure if the tranny was acting up before i changed the pcm i bought the truck not running with a bad fuel pump and the guy i bought it from was trying to fix the truck and put a pcm in the truck witch was the wrong pcm he put a v6 4.3 pcm in a v8 5.7 and the truck wouldnt run right so i changed the fuel pump and the the pcm now it runs great the scanner i have is a red snap-on scanner that reads transmissions and engine codes and does lots of tests but no codes come up for the tranny i m not even sure my tranny is even in limp mode
jheast517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheast517 View Post
I m not sure if the tranny was acting up before i changed the pcm i bought the truck not running with a bad fuel pump and the guy i bought it from was trying to fix the truck and put a pcm in the truck witch was the wrong pcm he put a v6 4.3 pcm in a v8 5.7 and the truck wouldnt run right so i changed the fuel pump and the the pcm now it runs great the scanner i have is a red snap-on scanner that reads transmissions and engine codes and does lots of tests but no codes come up for the tranny i m not even sure my tranny is even in limp mode
If it just acts up hot you may have pressure lose or slippage when hot.
But should set code or codes.
If you have the snap-on MT-2500 with 3 in 1 cartage or engine/transmission cartridge.
Read out transmission shift and slippage data and shift time.
Also make sure good fluid level and and fluid and filter.
Any stuff in bottom of transmission pan?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
4l60e , chevy , transmisson , truck
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion