Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > How-To's and Walk-Through's
How-To's and Walk-Through's Here's where we show you how it's done!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
fobearbc
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fobearbc
Check Engine Light 00 Accord V6

The Check Engine Light Came On On My 2000 Accord At 51,000 Miles. The Diognositc Said To Change The Egr Valve And Reset The Light. I Did That And It Came Back With The Same Trouble Code. Is This A Common Thing? I Checked All The Wires From The Valve To The Computer And They Were Fine.
fobearbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Check Engine Light 00 Accord V6

I bet your egr ports are clogged. I'm pretty sure it's an emmision recall which the dealership should do at no charge. The bulletin# is 99-085 i can post the content tomorrow.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
fobearbc
AF Newbie

thanks i appreciate it!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Here is the first page of 3, i can email you the other 2 if your car isn't under the 8yr/80K warranty. It does involve drilling the intake manifold.

2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe V6-3.OL

Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins
Recall - DTC P0401 EGR Flow/EGR Port Clogging

99-085

October 26, 2001
* Applies to:
1998-00 Accord V6 - ALL,
2001 Accord V6 - 4-door from VIN I HGCG I ... I AOOOOO I thru I HGC(I I ... IA058564 2-door from VIN I I-IGCG2... I AOOOOO I thru I HGCG2... IA023388

Updated information is shown by black bars and asterisks.
Accord Warranty Extension: EGR Port Clogging
(Supersedes 99-085, Product Update Campaign: PCV Hose Routing, dated March 21, 2000)
BACKGROUND
In some areas of the (U.S., certain basic chemical properties of gasoline (regardless of brand) may cause the intake manifold EGR port to clog or the EGR valve to tail. If this happens, the MIL comes on with a DTC P0401 (insufficient EGR flow) or P 1491 (insufficient EGR lift) stored.

* WARRANTY EXTENSION INFORMATION

This warranty extension cancels the PCV hose routing Product Update Campaign. You should no longer install the PCV hose routing kit.

American Honda is extending the warranty on EGR system problems in the affected vehicles to 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. To be eligible for coverage under this extended warranty, the MIL, must be on with one of the above DTCs stored. Install the EGR pipe kit, and file a claim using the information in this service bulletin.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

1998-99 vehicles - Owners of vehicles that were subject to the PUD will be mailed a letter explaining that the PUD has been cancelled, and detailing the 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty extension covering EGR system clogging.

1999-01 vehicles - The original PUD applied to V6 Accords through the first part of the 1999 model year. This warranty extension adds the remainder of the 1999 model year, all of 2000, and part of the 2001 model year. Owners of vehicles that were not involved in the original PUD will be mailed a letter detailing the 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty extension covering EGR system clogging.
Examples of the customer notifications are at the end of this service bulletin.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Clean the EGR port, and install the EGR pipe kit.
PARTS INFORMATION
EGR Pipe Kit: P/N 06175-P8C-AOO, H/C 6912125
TOOL. INFORMATION
EGR Pipe Installation Kit: T/N 07ZAD-P8AAOOO

Kit contents:
EGR pipe installation tool T/N07ZAD-P8AA100
Drill Bit T/N 07ZAH-P8AA100
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty:
The normal warranty applies
OUT of warranty

Last edited by jackasssi; 06-14-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
fobearbc
AF Newbie

thanks, but the car isnt under Warranty any more, i bought it from a private seller, but if i can get the directions i can do it myself...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Check Engine Light 00 Accord V6

It doesn't matter if you bought the car from a private seller, auto auction, dealer, won the car, etc. it still has the warranty extension for 8yrs or 80,000 miles which ever comes first.

If you still need the other 2 pages send me a PM with your email address, or I can just post it here since it will be helpful to MANY people. Drilling the intake could be a bad thing for some people in which case they should take to some one. In case any problems there is some one to blame and to cover the costs of extra repairs.

I will post it or email it tonight when I get home.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
BullShifter
AF Moderator

2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe V6-3.OL Page 2

Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office e.
You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Remove the throttle body cover, intake manifold covers, ignition wire holder, and ignition wire cover.

2. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose and the vacuum hose from the intake manifold.

3. Remove the throttle body from the intake manifold (two nuts and two bolts). Leave all hoses, cables, and electrical connectors connected to the throttle body. Discard the throttle body gasket.

4. Remove the PCV valve from the cylinder head cover. Remove the intake manifold (three nuts and six bolts).

5. Remove the intake manifold chamber, IAT sensor, boost plate, and PCV hose from the intake manifold.

6. Cover the six ports on the bottom of the manifold with duct tape.

7. Use an 8-mm drill bit and carburetor cleaner to clean the EGR port in the intake manifold. Turn the drill bit only by hand. Do not use a power drill.

8. Put the special drill bit from the EGR pipe installation kit in your power drill. Coat the drill bit completely with clean engine oil.

NOTE:
The oil coating is critical to drilling the hole accurately, and it contributes to drill bit life.

9. Insert the guide part of the drill bit into the EGR port. Make sure it is inserted fully. Then drill out the EGR port using steady pressure oil the drill. Make sure the port is drilled through completely.

10. Clean up the aluminum chips from drilling, then remove the duct tape.

11. Put the manifold in a parts washer (solvent or soap and water) and clean it thoroughly.

^ Flush out the EGR port for 20 seconds.

^ Flush out the manifold from the throttle body opening. Run cleaner down each side for 20 seconds.

^ Flush each intake runner for IO seconds. Start at the throttle body end and work towards the back.

^ Turn the manifold so the throttle body opening is facing down. Flush each main runner for 20 seconds.

^ Dry the manifold with compressed air and clean shop towels.
12. Place the EGR pipe from the kit into the EGR port.

13. Use the installation tool and a small hammer to drive the EGR pipe into the port until it is flush with the port. Make sure the pipe will not contact the gasket after installation.

14. Install the intake manifold chamber; torque the nuts and bolts to 12 Nm (8.7 lb-ft). Install the IAT sensor; torque it to 18 Nm. (13 lb-ft). Install the boost plate; torque the bolts to 12 Nm (8.7 lb-ft). Install the PCV hose.

15. Inspect the EGR port in the front of the injector base on the engine. If it is partially or fully clogged, clean the port.

16. Disconnect the 6P connector from the EGR valve. Remove the EGR valve.

17. Install the new EGR valve with a new gasket. Torque the mounting nuts to 22 Nm (I 6 lb-ft). Reconnect the 6P connector.

18. Install the intake manifold with the original gasket. Torque the mounting nuts and bolts to 22 Nm (I 6 lb-ft) sequentially in two or three steps. Route the PCV hose so it is not pinched under the intake manifold.

19. Install the PCV valve in the cylinder head cover.

20. Install the throttle body with a new gasket. Torque the mounting nuts and bolts to 22 Nm (I 6 lb-ft).

2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe V6-3.OL Page 3

21. Reinstall the brake booster vacuum hose, vacuum hose, ignition wire holder, and all of the covers.
22. Connect the PGM Tester (loaded with SN200 or later software). Clear any DTCS.
23. Use the PGM tester to override two-trip error detection.
^ From the PGM tester menu, select 1. Honda Systems.
^ Then select 2. SCS.
24. Test-drive the vehicle to make sure no new DTC’s are set.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
PredatorVI
AF Newbie

Just got a used 1999 Accord and am having the P0401 code thrown. The previous owner had similar issues, but just ignored it after replacing the EGR valve a couple of times.

I am going to install the EGR pipe kit per the recall/warranty extension item listed above. However, the Honda dealership want's $90.00 for the install kit which consists of a special drill bit and a driver tool for the EGR pipe. They won't rent me the tools. The service manager said that his service guys just use regular carbide drill bits.

Anyone know if it can be done without that kit and if so, what size is the drill bit? Alternatively, I'd appreicate a cheaper source for the install kit.

Thanks much!
PredatorVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
tim96460
AF Newbie

standard bits will work just keep it lubed to prevent galling, then drive the s/s sleve into place. Pathetic fix I must say.
tim96460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
PredatorVI
AF Newbie

I ended up buying the kit for $85.00 then sold it for $65.00. The guy that bought it has used it and is now selling it. I have his contact info if anyone wants it.

You **could** do it with a standard bit if you can find the exact size AND you are comfortable drilling aluminum freehand with a steel bit. I was not. It doesn't take much of an error to ruin aluminum or get the hole started off center.

To each his own...I'm out $20.00 for the use of the tool and it helped tremendously.
PredatorVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Pontyhorse
AF Newbie

I just got done putting the EGR port kit with the stainless steel pipe in a 2000 Honda Accord. Here are some tips.

If you can get the drill kit, I'd say it might be worth the price if you haven't gone through it with standard bits before. But it's not sold anymore so good luck there.

What I used to drill out the port was a 25/64th's drill bit, then "worked" it a little to make it slightly larger and to ensure all the walls were as smooth as possible. Then, so I could be sure the pipe didn't bind as I was tapping it into place below the gasket plane level, I counter drilled the top 1/3" or so with a 27/64th's bit (so it would have a little more room to expand as the formed ridges on the end of the pipe were compressed into the hole.

It's a good idea to drill test holes in scrap aluminum to make sure it will be the size you want before starting to remove material on that zillion dollar manifold.

This may have been fine tuning beyond what is necessary, but I wanted to make sure the darn thing fit right and tight.

I used the plastic handle on a screw driver to get the pipe tapped into place without deforming it, then filed off the deformation of the manifold where it was drilled, as well as a slight bit of the pipe that didn't tap down quite far enough.

Drill bits are slightly larger at the tip than at the shank, so if you're mic'ing or calipering the sizes, measure them there.

The EGR and Pipe kit cost me $161 at the Honda dealership - 2011 dollars. Your year may vary.
Pontyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
gjbrennan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontyhorse View Post
I just got done putting the EGR port kit with the stainless steel pipe in a 2000 Honda Accord. Here are some tips.

If you can get the drill kit, I'd say it might be worth the price if you haven't gone through it with standard bits before. But it's not sold anymore so good luck there.

What I used to drill out the port was a 25/64th's drill bit, then "worked" it a little to make it slightly larger and to ensure all the walls were as smooth as possible. Then, so I could be sure the pipe didn't bind as I was tapping it into place below the gasket plane level, I counter drilled the top 1/3" or so with a 27/64th's bit (so it would have a little more room to expand as the formed ridges on the end of the pipe were compressed into the hole.

It's a good idea to drill test holes in scrap aluminum to make sure it will be the size you want before starting to remove material on that zillion dollar manifold.

This may have been fine tuning beyond what is necessary, but I wanted to make sure the darn thing fit right and tight.

I used the plastic handle on a screw driver to get the pipe tapped into place without deforming it, then filed off the deformation of the manifold where it was drilled, as well as a slight bit of the pipe that didn't tap down quite far enough.

Drill bits are slightly larger at the tip than at the shank, so if you're mic'ing or calipering the sizes, measure them there.

The EGR and Pipe kit cost me $161 at the Honda dealership - 2011 dollars. Your year may vary.
Can you please post the dealer location you got your tool kit and pipe kits?

Thanks!
gjbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
gjbrennan
AF Newbie

Can you indicate the dealership (and phone #) of where you got the part/tool?
Thanks!
gjbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Pontyhorse
AF Newbie

OK, I read these codes off a 2000 Honda Accord - 0301, 0302, etc. Along with an unknown code not on the code charts - 1369 or something like that.

I replaced the EGR valve, removed the intake plenum, cleaned carbon out of the port the port with a hand held drill bit, etc. Then, months later, when the car stumbled all over itself again and wouldn't start I repeated the whole thing, except this time I put in the pipe kit (forget about getting a drill kit - they don't sell them anymore. Just be careful and don't just hog out the hole). But it was unnecessary as there was no carbon buildup in the port this time.

Then, it repeated the same crap. Same codes, same symptoms.

So I read that is caused not by the EGR problem, but by pressure in the fuel rail too high allowing fuel to burp through the injectors and flood. Vapor lock.

The FIX is unfortunate. It took a new computer, with new code, and a new fuel pressure regulator. Honda blames that oh-so-crappy American gasoline, which is not like the oh-so-perfect Japanese gasoline, and the fact the American gasoline distributors sell winter gas in the summer... yada yada yada.

A load of BS to disguise the fact that Honda put inadequate computer and code in the cars, which allowed the underpressurization of the fuel in the fuel rail, with accompanying fuel vaporization, and resultant engine flooding.

Oh, and they warn you to get the new computer only from Honda, because some of the others sold on the open market don't have the changes necessary.

The cost? I've repressed it. I think it was $1200 or around there. I almost pushed the piece of japcrap off a cliff.

But the problem is fixed. If you get tired of doing the pipe kit trick and not getting results, just bite the bullet and take it to Honda with the whole story.

Then never, ever buy another Honda. I certainly won't.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
Pontyhorse
AF Newbie

Yeah, I know. I meant, "...pressure in the fuel rail too low...".

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > How-To's and Walk-Through's