Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #136
Dewitt501
AF Newbie

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

YES!!! Already started another one! Can't wait for more updates!
Dewitt501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #137
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

SB, I have been following the thread since the beginning but haven't had found the words to describe your work. Your attention to detail and level of accuracy for replication is impeccable; when coupled with your excellent craftsmanship you achieve what many of us have never dreamed of. Your work is of the highest caliber, thank you for sharing, teaching, and inspiring.

I look forward to more!

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #138
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

I want to see a pic of SB himself, cause I start to think he is a giant not human cad-cam machine working similar to terminator... the hands in pics can be resin moulds with correct weathering...u never know.. LOL

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #139
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Evening, all,

Firstly, I can confirm that I am a real person - all the bits of hand and leg you see in the photos are mine. Certainly not 'cad-cam' - more like 'not-very-rapid prototyping'!

Meanwhile, back at the build...

After working on the rear window frame I was keen to continue with the rest of the internal detailing - but it was clear that I couldn't do anything with the front window until I actually had a window to frame! However, removing the fibreglass would leave the remaining shell quite vulnerable - at the base of the 'screen it's only about 4mm wide. So, I had to leave something in place for a bit of reinforcement, and make sure that I got on with the job sooner rather than later. First step, cut out most of the screen:

I wanted to glue a skin of thin 0.25mm styrene sheet to the inside of the fibreglass shell - I could then add further layers of detailing to this to create the windscreen pillars, roof supports, etc. I started with the corners at the base of the screen, as these were the two weakest points:

To make life easier I would do this in small sections - the 0.25mm styrene has a fair amount of flexibility, but I wanted to keep the changes of direction as small as possible. I used plenty of CA glue, pressed the styrene in place then used the clips to hold it for a while. Hmm, pale blue crocodile clips - I've got some orange ones around here somewhere too...it's a good colour combination, I think..!

After a few hours of trimming and gluing:

At this point I was happy that I'd strengthened the screen frame enough to be able to remove the central support section - plus, this would allow me to file and fettle the edges of the shell to tidy everything up:

As you can see, I've also started to add a few layers of 0.5 x 0.5mm styrene around the inner edge, similar to the rear screen last week. Here's the view from the outside:

The cardboard dashboard-top is a basic pattern I started working on a couple of weeks ago - I'll return to that (much) later when I do some more fibreglassing. I've also started trimming out the vent openings in the lower curved panel at the base of the windscreen - in time these will need to be covered with some sort of mesh grille...

So, with the windscreen trimmed out and reinforced, I continued lining the shell, starting with the rear side windows:

...and continued adding 0.25mm sheet until I ended up with it like this:

I've dug around online to find some half decent shots of the internal shell detailing, so I've got a reasonable idea of what I need to add. I'm sure I'll have to make a few 'adjustments' to fit around the tube frame, but if it all looks 'right' I'll be happy. I'll be continuing with this during the next few days, so hopefully you'll see more progress at the weekend.

Have a good week,

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #140
generationx
AF Enthusiast

Really amazing work!
generationx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #141
puffyrs
AF Regular

I Like that very good.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #142
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again,

Despite my plans last week, I haven't gone too much further with detailing the interior of the topshell - close inspection of some of my Freisinger reference photos suggested that the Moby does not have the same roof headlining as a 'regular' 911. My original intention was to run some ribbing detailing across the shell, but I've put that on hold until I'm convinced I'm doing the right thing! So, in the meantime I'll continue with some of the more structural aspects of the build...

Here you can see how whatever detailing I put into the edges of the shell, it has to fit around the roll-cage:

I'm hoping that I can incorporate a more positive location method for the rollcage, rather than relying on short lengths of copper wire. Again, I'm trying to make life easier eighteen months from now when I start trying to assemble all this!

Next, I wanted to continue reinforcing the windscreen surround. The thin styrene layer and edge strip-work helped, but two lengths of 1/8" square-section would help even more! I had to do a little shaping at each end to match the internal curve of the shell, but they were soon glued in place:

To add further strength and to cover the curved gap between the box-section and the shell, I added a length of 2mm angle section along the door edge and up over the top of the side-window. In time, this will give me a starting point for sorting out the door fit...

In this shot you can see how I've notched the inside edge of the angle strip to curve it around the top edge of the door opening:

I also added a couple more layers of thin strip around the windscreen edge before doing any of the work mentioned above - it was easier to do it first, rather than wait until the A-pillars were in place. The extra detailing to create the look of the original pressed roof-rails will be added later and will provide further reinforcement for the top ends of the pillars.

Now that I had some box-section running down each side, I wanted to tie this to the lower part of the chassis and the front inner wings - both for strength, and to ensure everything stays aligned. I shaped and glued two small lengths of 1/8" box to the front wings, then added a locating pin:

...so when the top section is added, the A-pillars end up just where I want them:

There's still more work to do, of course, but I'm slowly ticking off some of the awkward jobs. The short 'sockets' at the base of the A-pillars will have to be 'extended' down the inside of the front wings, for example, and I need to build-up the detail around the corners of the windscreen. Then I want to start sorting out the rear side windows area - that's the last section of the topshell that needs mating-up the the lower bodywork.

So, it's all useful progress!

Have a good week, everyone,

SB
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #143
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Looking good as usual SB; you have buckets of patience, that is for sure. The shell is definitely shaping up nicely!

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #144
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again,

It's mid-November, so I must be on holiday again - two weeks at home, catching up with life, and getting plenty of modelling done! This time last year I was busy masking and spraying the 908, this time I've been busy with the Moby's bodyshell.

Having put some structure into the A-pillars, the next job was to continue the stiffening down into the lower part of the doorframe - into the front wings. Starting point was a stip of 0.4mm styrene sheet, cut and shaped to suit then CA'd in place; then, a single strip of 0.5 x 0.5mm styrene to create an edge, followed by a length of 2mm angle section:

I had to notch the angle section on both sides as it had to curve in two directions:

Once this was all dry I continued adding more 0.5mm strips until I had created a solid 'block' of styrene measuring about 3mm square. The top end was shaped with emery cloth and file to match the curve of the fibreglass panel, once the overhang had been cut off.

In place:

Again, it's surprising how much this has stiffened up the fibreglass - I was worried it might start pulling things out of shape, but so far everything still fits in place.

Next job was to tackle the B-pillars and rear side windows - after fiddling around for a while it was obvious that the only way to proceed was to cut out the remaining sections of 'sprue' fibreglass so I could actually see what I was doing. So I did...

I've used lengths of 4.8mm square section for the pillars, split as shown, with 1/8" section used inside to pin both parts together. In time I'll add styrene detailing around the lower 'socket' section and the rear wing panel, but the first priority was to reinforce the upper section where they attached to the roof:

More lengths of 0.5mm strip have been added around the inside edge of the rear windows, and I've done some minor fettling to the top edge of the lower fibreglass panel to improve the fit. The strip-work across the roof ties the two pillars together, but I will be adding more detailing around the base of each.

Finally, I spent most of yesterday working on this:

Big deal! It's not much to show for a day's modelling (and a headache at the end of the evening) but it was a necessary evil. I decided that the original fibreglass panels I'd made to use for the door mountings were not going to work - it was going to be difficult to add the necessary detailing, and they were not as stiff as I would have liked. So, the only option was to create the panel using styrene...and I'll show more of this next time!

All the best,

SB
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #145
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

U are incredible sb..

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #146
generationx
AF Enthusiast

God this is a great WIP!
generationx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #147
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Interesting work on the rear door panels. Any idea how you'll do the door latching mechanism yet?

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #148
Interceptor1955
AF Newbie

There goes my jaw again... Oh boy this is incredible. You truely live up to your nickname Scratch Build... Almost can't wait to see more.

Mark
Interceptor1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #149
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

Early post today - trying to keep this evening clear ahead of the Brazilian GP!

So, back to the door mounting panels. The main vertical sections were made from two layers of sheet (0.5mm for the backing, and 0.8mm for the 'detail' layer), with sections of tube used to create the curved ends:

On the front face I added a length of 1/8" square - this would provide location to the lower sill. To increase the stiffness, I CA'd a length of offcut fibreglass too, as shown below:

There'll be some weight hanging off these panels once the doors are attached, so I've been trying to get the strength into the structure rather than relying on the glue to hold it all together! I'm also hoping that the fibreglass strip will stop the two styrene layers going out of shape over time...

Also in this photo (on the right) you can see where I've addded lengths of half-round section to fill-out the front. An outer panel will be added here shortly.

Next, a small triangular panel (again, two layers) to close-off the top:

Here you can see where I've drilled into the lower sill structure and added a locating pin - this slides into the 1/8" box section mentioned earlier. Further up I've glued a short length of small angle section - this slots into the back of the door mounting piece and keeps everything upright. It's only CA'd now, but in time I'll probably drill through and pin them for extra strength.

So, here's how they look now:

There's still some more surface detailing to be done, plus some tidying-up with greenstuff, etc, but the main structural work is complete. I'm now thinking ahead about the best way to assemble these parts - should I make the door mounting a permanent part of the outer sill structure, or should I fix it to the fibreglass front wings first? Hmmm...both ideas have their attactions, but as the whole lot is designed to come apart I'm not forced to decide just yet.

Hi Ian - regarding the door latches, I'm hoping that the actual locking mechanism on the back edge will be a little easier than on the 908 as they will be hidden from view once the doors are closed - they don't actually have to engage. The front hinges are more of a concern as they are offset some way forwards of the mounting structure (curse those pesky bodywork door extensions!). I suspect I'll probably have to experiment with brass strip to get the strength without the thickness. The fact that the doors open outwards, rather than up-and-over as on the 908 or 917-10, should make life easier - I'll be able to see what I'm doing, for a start!

In the last photo you can see the closing panel I've added to each end of the windscreen base. This is the area I'm working on now, and it's going to look rough until it starts looking better! I've been playing around with this for the last couple of days, trying to get a tidy way of joining the top section to the front wings, so it's very much a work in progress. I've modified the original solution by removing the small socket sections from the tops of the inner wings, and attaching them to the base of the main A-pillars - I've drilled through the fibreglass and into the styrene strip-work below, so the pins now locate there:

Right now it's not particularly tidy, but I'm sure I can build-up the detailing I need and smooth everything out afterwards - greenstuff will fill the joints on the pillars, and add strength on the inside. It'll all be hidden from view eventually, so I can live with it!

...and that's probably what I'll be fighting with for the next few nights. All these little areas are not not particularly satisfying (there's not much to show for an afternoon's work), but I don't think I could tackle this project if the bodywork was a single piece - so the connections between the panels are a necessity! If I can get the front bulkhead to fit, we're in business...

More again next week,

SB
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #150
John18d
AF Enthusiast

SB - your attention to such details is what makes your builds so captivating to watch
don't know how you envision such solutions
You are truly a master-craftsman

John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote