Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
kristov
AF Newbie

Moving to Michigan Near Detroit Q

I am in Houston TX - and getting rdy to move to Holt MI - about an hour from Detroit.

Now my car question is that I want to buy a new Midsize-Fullsize SUV such as an Ford Explorer or possibly a Chevy Suburban.

I know that alot of car plants exist in Detroit - but does this mean that I can save some bucks by buying it after I move in a few months? Or does it not matter and I should just buy in Houston, TX?

If you could specify a few details of what is the best deal and what i should look for and ask for id apprecaite it.

Thanks,

Chris
kristov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:20 PM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I live a few mile from Holt half the time -the rest I am here in Petoskey which is 200 miles away If you go with a SUV, make sure its a 4wd. The 2wd are no good for around here (because of the rear drive with no weight back there). You'll be ok with pretty much any sedan as well. The tax rate here is 6% so if its cheaper in Texas, you may be better off picking it up there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
kristov
AF Newbie

Sales tax?

Is that sales tax? I know here in Houston the generic sales tax on goods is like 8.25% - ??

Do you get anything like "no destination charge" or any kind of benefit by being in Detroit?

-Chris
Old 02-05-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Re: Sales tax?

Quote:
Originally posted by kristov
Is that sales tax? I know here in Houston the generic sales tax on goods is like 8.25% - ??

Do you get anything like "no destination charge" or any kind of benefit by being in Detroit?

-Chris
Wow - I didn't realize the sales tax in Houston was so high (note to self: dont move there). The destination charge is the same across, at least, the lower 48. That is node specifically so people dont leave their local market to buy a car closer to the manufacturer. So they take the total cost, multiply it by a few factors and divide it up and charge us for delivery. Other goods bury it in the price of the product, because the dealerships don't want you to use destination as a haggling tool.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
kristov
AF Newbie

Rebates only in certain areas?

I was looking at kelly blue book and noticed that the FORD SUV's I think have a 2000 dollar discount/rebate in Detroit and Philidelphia regions.

Im obviously new to this so im trying to clarify that I am reading this correctly.

So if this is the case - obviously I should wait right?

ive also been told that my current 2 wheel drive / front wheel drive vehicle would sell for less money up north (and as a trade in?) because those vehicles just arent as useful up north in the snow.

any truth to this? (i.e. i should sell my car now in the south before moving?)

My original plan was

1) drive my existing car up north (1300 miles) and trade it in for a new SUV when i get there.

Optional plans are

2) trade my car in down south where i live now - and drive my new SUV up north

3) sell my car down south - fly north - and buy a new SUV when i get there.

Sorry if these questions seem newbie-ish to you - but im new to all this and trying to avoid getting screwed.

Thanks for the help!

Chris