Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:58 AM   #1
Rorysmith01
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Rorysmith01
Unhappy HELP! What to buy

I have had a truck for 5 years, and its on its way. It's a 96 Chev fullsize....with about 230K on it, so I am thinking I can get about 10 for it. I cant afford another truck(sigh...) so I am looking at buying a little car. I dont know much about smaller cars, so I was wondering if I could get some all around advice. I want to get something newer...2000 or more...What do you suggest is better? Cavalier, Sunfire, or Focus? Or is it worth the extra cash for a Grand am/Grand Prix? I am just looking for something small, that will not have a ton of problems, and has a little more balls than a go-kart....heh....thanx!
Rorysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:12 AM   #2
Rorysmith01
AF Newbie

Just a note....

If it makes a difference.....I'm in the cold cold north....So thats Canadian $! :bandit:
Old 01-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
hakka
AF Enthusiast

I would probably go for the focus...I don't usually like fords, but out of these three, this would be it. I have a '91 cavalier, and it hasn't had any mechanical problems to date (except for the usual complaing chipmunks) so I don't have any qualms with it, I would just rather the focus. I would automatically discount the Sunfire, due to the fact that it is horribly ugly, IMO. The focus also has a bit of an aftermarket, if you would be interested in that.

btw...go-karts have a ton of balls. I just bought a 125cc shifter kart that will get 0-60mph in 4.5sec, pulls 2.5 g's on the skidpad, and tops out at 135mph (the previous owner did this on the banking at Daytona, on the road course layout.
hakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
Rorysmith01
AF Newbie

Thanx!

I appreciate the help! I am looking for something with some aftermarket appeal, however school drains any spending money I have, so its not really a key factor. Anyone heard much about the 2000 Chrysler Neon's? A lot of people I've spoken with say the Sunfire engine is pretty shotty, so I'm counting that out.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:22 PM   #5
dolla_bill0913
AF Enthusiast

Instead of a neon you should look at the new SVT FOCUS @ $18,000 U.S.. Add a limited slip and a turbo aftermarket and you will have yourself one fast little car. Not that a sunfire or cav is a bad chocie either, I like the new aftermarket parts that you can buy from factory, a step in the right direction. A neon you will probly have to spend a lot of money on after market parts to get it to run and look the way you want it to, but that is just my opinion.