Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
mr. imported
AF Newbie

What car should i buy???

hey

i'm planning on buying (financing) a new car. i'm looking for an import coupe for around $25,000 to $35,000. are the low end bmw 3-series any good? bmw's 325ci & 330ci's hp numbers seem pretty low for the price their asking for. are there any other better cars in my price range? are there any new models coming out for the year 2004?

thanks
mr. imported is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:10 AM   #2
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

Exclamation

You might be interested in the Infiniti G35 and G35 Sport Coupe. Both start down around $28,000 and top out around $35,000 fully loaded. Unlike the BMW 3-series, they have a totally new styling that's unlike anything else on the road right now. They will have Infiniti's reliability (best as rated by Consumer Reports), and both are powered by Nissan's VQ series engine (9-time consecutive winner of Engine of the Year by Ward's publications). In several of the tests performed by Motor Trend, Automobile, and Road & Track magazines, the G35s beat out BMW's 3-series in 0-60, slalom, etc., and the G35 just won Motor Trend's Automobile of the Year for 2003.

"The G35 is finally the car that outperforms, underprices, and outshines the... BMW 3 Series" -Motor Trend, August 2002 article here "We thought it'd be quick, but not this quick: Just 6.2 sec to 60 mph, and the quarter mile whizzes by in 14.6. There are brakes, and then there are G35 brakes. Only the best sports cars can match or beat the 110-ft stop we measured for the G35."

"...in some crucial dynamic measures, Infiniti's G35 bests the almighty BMW 3."
-Ward's AutoWorld, May 1, 2002

The cars feature several options not seen on others in the class, from reclining rear seats on the Sedan, to gauges that tilt with the steering wheel, to a very intuitive navigation system. I'd highly suggest you check one out. And no, I'm not a salesperson, just a very devoted fan.

Go to www.infiniti.com for more info. This is the car that offers better-than-bimmer performance and styling, for about $6,000 less, comparably equipped.

And finally, it's best stated by Infiniti's slogan: Own one, you'll understand.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:09 AM   #3
mr. imported
AF Newbie

thanks boingo82. i read somewhere on this forum that nissan is going to ship the new skyline to the u.s.a. and call it a g35. is this going to happen or is it just a rumor??? also can the g35 coupe's engine handle any forced induction???

thanks
mr. imported is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:49 AM   #4
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

It's true that the G35 is currently being sold under the name "Skyline" in Japan. Currently a Skyline GTR concept is in the works, no word on if we'll see it over here. See Nissan Japan's website: http://www.nissan.co.jp/EN/lineup.html Click on Skyline on the left, you'll see the Japanese Skyline is nearly identical to our G35 sedan with the exceptions that the Skyline is available with a 2.5 litre, 3 litre, or 3.5 litre engine, whereas we only get the 3.5 litre. (Oh, poor us! ) In addition the Skyline has the availability of fulltime 4wd, whereas all G35s are RWD. This isn't unusual, in fact the Sentra was sold with 4wd in Japan when we just got FWD here.

As for the forced induction, I hadn't a clue, so I asked Google and came up with this: http://www.freshalloy.com/site/news/home.shtml Look at the first news item for 10-24-02. Freshalloy has been pretty reliable when it comes to Nissan/Infiniti related news in my experience. I would make an educated guess that the engine could handle it fine (Nissan has a reputation for very fine tolerances in manufacturing and engines that last forever with regular oil changes) but you will have some difficulty finding a kit right now.

Oh, by the way, welcome to AF.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #5
Amir
AF Newbie

One of the options I would consider is a Honda S2000, unless you do not want a 2Seater. Or any of the 2Seater roadsters available depending on your preference (SLK/Z3 or M/Boxster/TT etc)

Or a Prelude/Celica/Solara/Accord Cpe/Acura RSX/Acura CL/350Z etc.

Or some very nice used sports cars(Supra/3000GT/RX7/M3/CLK/Corvette/NSX etc)

Have fun.
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
agreed w/ amir

some much better options are some nicer used cars compared to what ull give ripped off w/ if u decide to buy a new car . . . unless ur buying for warranty/reliability reasons

but if performance is in mind, the used car market is calling ur name
Old 01-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

This year, there's the Z4 which will appear. Less expensive than a 325 or 330ci. But only two seats.
And in 2005, why not a Peugeot 407 Coupé ?

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #8
racingbreed20
AF Enthusiast

G35

The G35 Is really the first real time look that america has had with the Skyline. Other earlier models have been imported over but virtually under the populus' radar. Infact Japan has kept the car hidden from our markets since the 50s. The G35 doesn't share many of the same qualities or design as the previous models. In fact the engine is comepletly different. VQ or as some over here call it VG second gen. Is nothing like the previous RB series which came in 2.0 2.5 and 2.6. Not to mention all of those models had the option to be turbo charged. Except the RB26(2.6) which was a twin turbo charged motor only. I've seen a few of the new Skylines(G35) here but they dont hold a candle to their older brothers. A nice car it is but it shouldn't be given the name Skyline. It would be like if they called the Ford Probe a Mustang and went with that model as their new muscle car?? G35 is a great deal for luxury and performance......Why couldn't they have at least kept the tail lights?? Auugh!!
racingbreed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
boingo82
Can't polish a turd.

Re: G35

Quote:
Originally posted by racingbreed20
... It would be like if they called the Ford Probe a Mustang and went with that model as their new muscle car?? G35 is a great deal for luxury and performance......Why couldn't they have at least kept the tail lights?? Auugh!!
Not all Skylines were high-performance racing machines. You'll be glad to know there is a GT-R version in the works which has taillights similar to the old version.

And yes, the G35 is a great luxury/performance combo.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:03 AM   #10
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
since you want a coupe i would go with an acura 3.2tl type s
260hp.. really nice and loaded for a good price..
Old 04-17-2004, 11:47 AM   #11
MusicMesa
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to MusicMesa Send a message via AIM to MusicMesa Send a message via Yahoo to MusicMesa
Re: What car should i buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
You might be interested in the Infiniti G35 and G35 Sport Coupe. Both start down around $28,000 and top out around $35,000 fully loaded. Unlike the BMW 3-series, they have a totally new styling that's unlike anything else on the road right now. They will have Infiniti's reliability (best as rated by Consumer Reports), and both are powered by Nissan's VQ series engine (9-time consecutive winner of Engine of the Year by Ward's publications). In several of the tests performed by Motor Trend, Automobile, and Road & Track magazines, the G35s beat out BMW's 3-series in 0-60, slalom, etc., and the G35 just won Motor Trend's Automobile of the Year for 2003.

"The G35 is finally the car that outperforms, underprices, and outshines the... BMW 3 Series" -Motor Trend, August 2002 article here "We thought it'd be quick, but not this quick: Just 6.2 sec to 60 mph, and the quarter mile whizzes by in 14.6. There are brakes, and then there are G35 brakes. Only the best sports cars can match or beat the 110-ft stop we measured for the G35."

"...in some crucial dynamic measures, Infiniti's G35 bests the almighty BMW 3."
-Ward's AutoWorld, May 1, 2002

The cars feature several options not seen on others in the class, from reclining rear seats on the Sedan, to gauges that tilt with the steering wheel, to a very intuitive navigation system. I'd highly suggest you check one out. And no, I'm not a salesperson, just a very devoted fan.

Go to www.infiniti.com for more info. This is the car that offers better-than-bimmer performance and styling, for about $6,000 less, comparably equipped.

And finally, it's best stated by Infiniti's slogan: Own one, you'll understand.
Car of the Year? I heard that they only give that when the Manufacturer gives MT 10 cars for their staff. i.e, the 330ci with a performance package may have tested overall better than the G35 Coupe, but if BMW won't cough up the free vehicles for MT's staff, they will not get the award.

My boss nows someone who quit working for MT for that very reason. Hmmmm damn - Now I can't decide! It's either a 330i w/perf Package or G35 Coupe! (330ci is a bit small for my taste, but I like the trim)

I have been looking for specs on the 330 series with perf/pkg Vs the G35 Coupe for performance, handling and ride quality - can't seem to find a good post. lol I did notice two cars pass me going the opposite direction yesterday comming home from work - the s2000 was ahead of the G35 by a nose - hahahaha
MusicMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 05:05 PM   #12
fadeaway
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fadeaway
That post was completely useless Mesa, it's obvious you're just hating on the G35 for no particular reason.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
MusicMesa
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to MusicMesa Send a message via AIM to MusicMesa Send a message via Yahoo to MusicMesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway
That post was completely useless Mesa, it's obvious you're just hating on the G35 for no particular reason.

Well everone has an opiniion - I Love the G35 - just concerned about biased awards - and interested in how the performance compares to a 330i w/perf pckg -thanks for your input
MusicMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
SpeedFan
AF Newbie

Calculate current used cars values. Free valuations for every used car up to fourteen years old.
SpeedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
Ninersfan415
AF Newbie

Hello everyone, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and recently found the best way to buy a used car. Using a company called Instamotor I was able to find decently priced options and eventually find the car for me. Instamotor is free to use and their process alleviates so much of the stress from buying a used car. I was able to connect with legit sellers avoiding the usual Craigslist scams and insane dealer ship up charge. They put all their cars through a multi-point mechanical inspection, gave me a free Carfax, and handled the DMV transfer paperwork. They even found me a cheaper insurance premium and a financing plan that worked with my budget. I had a great experience with them and was very impressed with the service I received. Check out their website here http://bit.ly/1hGs8R9
Ninersfan415 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A