Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
jcphotos
AF Newbie

Question Lots of questions . . .

I have a 1994 geo prizm (2400 lbs) that is desperately in need of new wheels. The stock ones are nearly rusted out. I was thinking that if I'm gonna replace em I might as well upgrade I know I can go larger, but how large makes sense? It's never gonna see the track, but may get some performance upgrades (new motor) and definitely will see some spirited driving. I want good wet performance which is a tire decision essentially, but I know tire width affects this as well. I also want good cornering more than all out take-offs. I also would like to know if larger rims and tires will affect my brakes - will I need larger ones if properly done (or upgrade the whole brake system <I hope NOT>)? I am thinking of rims that are really light weight (15-19lbs), so I'm thinking the weight should decrease some on each wheel, am I wrong?

What would you guys suggest? 15,16,17" I like 17's as there are more good tires to choose from in this range as they're very common. 17's I think leave me with a 215/40/17 or a 205/40/17, but which one is better?
jcphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: Lots of questions . . .

205/40/17 is closest to stock in overall diameter and will have the best chance of not rubbing

I however, recommend 16's on that car where there are many good tires made in 205/45/16
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels