Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #1
pjorm
AF Newbie

At wits end with front end clunk

95 Blazer frustration. When I make a hard right turn I hear a clunking.
Have replaced outer tie rod ends, swaybar end links, U/L balljoints, alignement done and infamous hood hinge washers installed. Advise much appreciated.
I love my Blazer I love my Blazer I love my Blazer
pjorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
slreno1217
AF Regular

cv joints?
slreno1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
pjorm
AF Newbie

No grease flying out of boots and there are no cracks. 99,500 miles on the truck and the boots look good as new. could the joints still be bad even with the above criteria? I dont hear a grinding noise or other symptoms I'm used to with front wheel drive autos I've had.
pjorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
swalt
AF Regular

Re: At wits end with front end clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorm
No grease flying out of boots and there are no cracks. 99,500 miles on the truck and the boots look good as new. could the joints still be bad even with the above criteria? I dont hear a grinding noise or other symptoms I'm used to with front wheel drive autos I've had.
It is possible for them to go bad even though they are sealed. I had cv boots replaced this past week and had the joints cleaned up and regreased. I need to point out I have had a vibration on the vehicle since 27k at 60km/hr and 120km/hr....I'm now at 89k. After repacking the joints and replacing the boots last week because of boots starting to seep the vibration is gone. Dealer said they noticed one of the joints was a little stiff and not moving as free as it should even though there was plenty of grease to protect it. They were surprised/pleased it corrected the vibration though as it had them stumped.
swalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
flagship202
AF Newbie

Greetings pjorm: My 97 had a similar problem which turned out to be a loose lower ball joint. They had been replaced on the infamous recall by GM and over time worked loose. You couldnt tell by raising the vehicle and trying to move the wheel. It was just snug and the force of turning the truck was enough to cause it to slide and make a clunk. You didnt state whether the joints were replace before or after your problem began so it might be a good idea to retorque the ball joint mounting bolts. Hope this helps, Flagship
flagship202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
friesza
AF Newbie

Re: At wits end with front end clunk

I have a 200 blazer that had the same problem....only 40000 miles and you will nver guess the problem.....it was a wheel bearing...everytime I turned left out of my driveway or anywhere it clunked...then about a week later I heard the bearing noise....I replaced it and have not heard any clunking since...but you have to replace the whole hub....it will run about 125 to 200 bucks depending on where you buy it...I bought mine brand new from a wrecking yard for 110 dollars...brand new ac delco in the box...hope this helps
friesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
mrfirebird
AF Regular

somewhere there was a post about a washer that needs to be added under the transmission crossmember to keep it from binding against the frame. maybe someone will know about this. by the way my 94 does the same thing and i'll be looking at it at christmas break. thats the first thing i'mm going to check.
mrfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer