Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
78Dodge 4x4
AF Newbie

Unhappy Indentification

Just aquiered a 78 dodge 4x4 and need help finding out what I landed? It has a 440 in it but I am not sure what kind of truck it is. Besides being a Dodge and 4x4. On the indentification tag it states W20 is that 3/4ton????
78Dodge 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: Indentification

Is it a stepside or anything? Maybe it's one of those 4X4 warlocks. It wouldn't be a 'lil red express, but it could be just a normal 3/4 ton Dodge truck. "W" denotes that it is a 3/4 ton 4X4, like a Power Ram. I don't think it had that name back then, but I think you might know what I mean.

Cool truck dude.
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

a 4X4 in '78 is till considered a "Power Wagon"

It could be a SnoCommmander, an Adventurer, Adventurer Sport, Adventurer SE, Custom, Palomino,
or maybe some odd one off Spring Special. I doubt that it's a Warlock. You would have known that already.

Are yo sure it's a 440? or a 400? I believe if it is a 440, it's not the original motor (in '78).

In '78, there were few ways, other than emblems and trim to tell what exactly the truck was by just looking at it. But, if it is an adventurer, or adventurer sport/SE/ it has trim, at least down the side along the wheelwells and the lower half of the truck. There should be emblems somewhere, or there used to be... It could have the upper stainless trim along the top edge. If it has that, it's probably an Adventurer SE or sport. The "sport" lacked the woodgrain in the trim and on the dash.
Another way to tell it's and adventurer SE or sport is whether it has the stainless pedal covers, and the chrome trim piece along the bottom of the glove box and brushed or woodgrain trim across the bottom of the dash. If it's an A/C truck, the vents on SE and Sport's have silver trimmed vents.

All of the trim levels had the same drivetrain options available. I've seen ClubCabs with 8' beds that have no A/C, a 318 and a 3-on-the-tree, and it was an Adventurer SE, so it had the nice interior, and all the trim, but the truck was otherwise a low rent work truck! Ive seen Customs with A/C,Auto,big block,suregrip, bucket seats, tach and power locks and windows. And outside, it looked like a gov't vehicle, bone stock and no trim.

I hope you have the part time transfer case, but if not, put some manual hubs on it. It'll save you gas money.
Just because it is a big block, doesn't mean it's anything special, but it sure makes it powerful, provided the motor is in shape.

And it's a W200 W for 4X4, 200 for 3/4 ton.
It could actually be PW200 check your truck for the build sticker (on the hood, or door jamb) or sheet (under a seat/seatback). Maybe you'll have more luck there.

So I guess your answer is it's hard to tell.

Slantsixness
Old 05-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

I have a Mopar Muscle mag from last year that features this guy who owns a Warlock, and it has an original 440. That truck is a '78.

Checking for a build sticker or build sheet is also a good idea. A build sticker usually stays with the vehicle for the duration of its life unless a door or pillar is changed due to an accident or modification or something.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

440 only in a "warlock", but also only shortbed, and 2WD although there were some that were 4WD, I'm not that up on the warlock or little red express, I've seen different people swear they were all factory and came this way or that way. Non mopar geeks think they all have factory hemi's...the list goes on. Most of the little dead express's were 360's, and automatics. The warlock was another wierd one-off, supposed to be the little dead express's alter-ego I suppose...?
Anyway, both of them were based off Custom trim levels, and were pretty lame as far as uniqueness, or useability.
Show me a '66 spring special with sport trim, short fleetside box and a hemi and now you're talking!

By the way, every stepside shortbox truck out there wasn't a Little Dead Express, but you'd never know it from the hype....

And I know someone's gonna swear right here that the Little Dead Express and the Warlocks were so rare and so wonderful..... how sad.

But, yes "warlocks" did have the 440 option, not too sure about the dead express, but chrysler in the late 70's was anybody's whore for a sale... so I suppose there's almost anything out there from that era.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

I just like those express trucks because they have stacks, I think it looks so cool. Then again, you can put stacks on anything, but almost nobody does.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

The stacks were cool.
the "Little Red Express" door emblem crap sucked.
It would've been so much better if they'd just called it a "POS R/T S/S" for "POS Redneck/Truck with Shiny/Stacks".

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10