Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
.Med!c-
AF Newbie

painting fairings on a 02 CBR 600 f4i

so I want to turn this bike into all black. Thats what I'm down for right now. But I may change my mind once I put some time in possible designs. Anywho, I have the tools needed to do the pain job. Just not sure what exactly to do.

So first and for most what kind of paint is a good choice? I dont want something super expensive here, but I want something decent. Whether I want gloss or matte or semi gloss I'm not sure of yet. But if I could be pointed towards the right type of paint and good brands, I'd appreciate it.

Second. Should I use a paint/clear coat mix? or should I go with paint, then do a clear coat?

and 3rd. I've never done work on a plastic that is already finished.. What is the best thing to do here?
  1. clean the surface, put on a primer, then paint
  2. sand, prime, paint
.Med!c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: painting fairings on a 02 CBR 600 f4i

I dunno. I have a friend who is a painter...he always said if you have a good factory base paint job you are covering with new, then using the same type of paint will create the best adhesion...being the same, they will bond together, and since it already has a good OEM bond to the bodywork your paint job should be just as durable...so if that were the case he'd just scuff the OEM paint with Scotchbrite to help adhesion, clean and tack cloth it and spray...

But if you had areas with real bad oxidation or shattered OEM paint from overflexing the panel or something, then a complete sanding and primering would be in order.

Unfortunately I don't know what they used on your bike...but I would suspect urethane, as it tolerates bending and temp contraction etc better than other types...but it is probably a specialized formulation, like they use on automotive bumper covers and such...

I know his preferred brand and type is PPG Deltron base/clear coat.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes