Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 04:15 PM   #1
GotMilk89427
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to GotMilk89427
Question

I drive a 2000 Civic EX that has been lowered with Neuspeed sport springs. It is 1.75 inches lower in front and 1.5 inches in the back. Everything was fine until I just put my new rims on. I just put on a set of 17" Enkei RS6 with 205/40 17 Nitto NT555's on yesterday. I am having problems with rubbing on my right rear tire. Is this normal? It normally happens during cornering and over bumps. If this isn't normal, what can be done to correct it short of rolling the fenders? Any help would be appreciated.
:badass:
Old 05-01-2001, 05:49 PM   #2
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
You can get your fenders rolled, so there's more room under there, or you may want thinner wheels. I have 17x7.5" wheels, and I lost some of my turning radius because of it. But, I'd suggest getting the ole' wheelwells pounded out a bit.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:05 PM   #3
GOD
Banned

Send a message via AIM to GOD
my friend has the same problem on his SI he lowered it with the Ibach sport kit its about 1.7 in the from and back and his from tires rub his fender wells if he goes real slow and turns . I think he put some arms or something from ibach .....i dunno if a camber kit would correct this or not but thats some ideals and ur tires arent that wide are they 205/40/17 is about 7.0in wide isnt it ?
GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 06:22 PM   #4
BBD
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to BBD
Before installing rims you should mesure how wide you can go... if you go over a little your tires would rub with the inner wall weird thing you say only one of the tires are rubbing anyways mu suggestion to you is to install Spacers to get the rim out a little even if it was a few melimeters,,,
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 01:35 PM   #5
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
spacers would fuck it up more.
the rolling thing isnt that hard.
all you would really have to do is take the wheel off and just push up the small lip inside so it has a soft edge down, instead of the sharp side of the metal...
so when you run your hands under the lip it would feel like a "V" instead of an "L"
make sense?
that is necessary on a shitload of cars...
i just saw a ford ranger dropped on airbags on 20s that rips the shit outta his pirellis...
he didnt roll the rim of the fender. shitty for him...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 04:51 PM   #6
1HGD16Y8NH-578
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1HGD16Y8NH-578
I had the same problem on my 99 EX with 17"s. I made two mistakes, first I used 40mm offset instead of the suggested 45mm. Second when you lower a car you need to make sure like the others posted to "roll" the fenders. You can solve the major rubbing by "rolling" the fenders.

Rob
1HGD16Y8NH-578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 07:00 PM   #7
Worshp
AF Fanatic

Definitely roll the fenders...anything else, like a camber kit or raising the car back up again is like giving asprin to a gunshot victim. Correct the problem rather than half fixing it.
Worshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:20 AM   #8
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice
I had the same problem.. My best suggestion if you dont want to roll the lip is to purchase a set of Koni sports (yellows) so you can adjust the rebound on them and make them stiffer.. I changed to the skunk2 coilovers and koni yellows and was able to sit it alot lower and never had a rubbing problem at all.

Bikes:
'05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, '05 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:33 AM   #9
Luke@tirerack
AF Enthusiast

The wheel obviously have the wrong offset. When you purchase wheels with an offset that is to low it causes the tires to stick out to far and they rub. Talk to the people where you got the wheels and they should be able to resolve this issue. It doesn't matter if the car is lowered or not because the suspension travel is in the same arc and the tires shouldn't rub. In one of the previous posts somebody mentioned upgrading the shocks eliminated his problem. It didn't fix the problem it just restricted the suspension travel enough so that the tire didn't rub which in turn makes the ride quality suffer

Luke

Objects in the mirror appear ... to be losing !!!
Luke@tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote