Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
00DodgeMan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 00DodgeMan
First time rider needs help

So I'm buying a motorcycle for commuting more efficiently, and I've really wanted one for a long time. (my jeep only gets 17 mpg and I work about 45 miles away during the summer as a poor college student.)

My parents are both avid motorcyclists who'll teach me how to ride, but I have some questions about buying the bike.

Here are some things I hope you guys can help me out with:

1. What is the minimum engine size for being on the highway?

2. I'm looking for a bike that accelerates nicely and handles well. I'm more of a cruiser fan, and am looking for one that meets these requirements but isn't all that expensive. I'm buying used, somewhere between $800 and $2500. I'll also need to learn on this bike and it'd be nice if it got nice mileage.

3. Where do I go to get the best deals on local bikes? I'm thinking the want ad. Ebay kinda sucks for this.

Thanks.
00DodgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Zaku-II
AF Newbie

1. I don't know where you are located at but in NY i don't believe there is a minimum engine size for highways but i think the bike has to be over 600 lbs. If you are going to get a cruiser though i would not go any smaller than a 600cc
2. In that price range you should definatly be able to get a nice reliable bike. I bought my first bike for $600 and put over 20,000 miles on it, never did anything to it but new rubber and oil. I should ad to that the bike was 20 years old when i bought it so don't be afraid of old bikes just make sure you look it over. As far as the mileage goes i've never riden a bike that doesn't atleast get 35mpg, hell my 1100cc get's over 40 on the highway doing 75mph.
3. As far as buying used i've always had the most luck in word of mouth and side of the road deals. Check the local papes regularly and drive lots of back roads and side roads to try and find private owners selling their bikes. Going to a dealer or ebay you will just over pay . You should be able to find a suitable first bike for less than 1,000 save the rest of your money for the inevitable repairs and new rubber, because if you buy a bike thats been stored it will probably need new rubber. One last thing and this is strictly my opinion and could be considered a bunch of crap along with everything else i've said, but i don't think any bike that is more than 8 years old, unless it's a classic or a harley,is worth more than $1,000. Owner's tend to over value their bike because they put a few pieces of chrome on it . Anyway happy shopping and ride safe.
Zaku-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
DealsGap
AF Regular

Re: First time rider needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku-II
1. I don't know where you are located at but in NY i don't believe there is a minimum engine size for highways but i think the bike has to be over 600 lbs.
600 lbs? I guess sportbikes aren't allowed on the highway then...

CC's and weight are not going to come into play as far as legality goes. A Kawasaki Ninja 250 is more than capable of commuting safely and legally, and even that will be quicker than your average car.

I would not recommend a cruiser for a first bike. A large, heavy bike with piss poor stopping and handling characteristics is not a good learning platform, the same way an unforgiving 350lb 130hp superbike with no turning radius and a lay down riding position isn't. Some sort of "standard" genre of bike is ideal. For your price range, I would look for a used entry level standard like a Kawasaki EX250 or something similar. If you want more of a cruiser look, you'll likely be after an older docile 600 or 750 japanese standard.
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
00DodgeMan
AF Newbie

Re: Re: First time rider needs help

Yea I was thinking something a bit smaller than a 600, maybe closer to even a 300, I've heard good things, especially if you're learning. What I meant by cruiser was "standard", but I'm also torn between that and a sport because I've heard sport have better handling and higher acceleration at higher speeds as opposed to the standards which have higher acceleration at lower speeds because of the torque.

Also, thanks for the "word of mouth and paper" tip, I'll definately look into that.

Have either or you (or anyone else) rode "both" genre's of bikes and have a preference on them?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

I'd recommend an EX250 or 500, the Honda VTR250, Suzuki GS500, or even a Yamaha Virago for what you want out of the bike.

Any of those will have more than enough "oomph" to get up and go for interstate riding (though the 250s tend to "dance" because of the lightness). They all fall into the "tame" category in terms of how the rider fits on them.

Good luck in your choice, and even with capable parents, I still STRONGLY recommend taking an MSF course... it's free in some states, and you may be able to get insurance discounts for passing. I didn't feel safe on a bike (after learning from my dad and riding dirt bikes as a child) until I completed the MSF. Just a few pennies to ponder.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
00DodgeMan
AF Newbie

I think I'm leaning more towards the 500s now, but I've been looking at those bikes. And yes, as soon as I get my permit I plan on taking the MSF, although not only is it not free here, it costs about $275 (MA). Which sucks. I also have to get a helmet, and possibly a trailor if I transfer schools to AZ. Although it'd be worth it, I'd be able to drive all year there.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

My first bike was a Honda Shadow 600. I loved it to death, which was about 36,000 miles I picked up something in the chain which snapped it causing the chain to crack the gearbox. I sold it to a lady who wanted to fix it to ride.

It was capable of about 85 or 90 mph if you really tucked way down and waited forever, but as far as merging with traffic, there was more than enough power, even for my 240-lb butt and a passenger.

It was a pretty comfy bike too considering its size.

Look on your state's website for what qualifies a bike as being a highway vehicle. In most cases its an engine size or engine HP. Here in CA its 125cc and up is considered a class 2 motorcycle. Anything less is considered a class 1 motor-driven cycle. In general, they make the laws so that anything that is a scooter is not highway-legal, and a motorcycle is. When you get on the freeways here in CA there is a sign that says "no motor-driven cycles"

My wife had a Kymco People scooter that was a whopper 150, so she had to get an M2 license to drive it in CA. It was highway legal, and it was capable of 70 or more MPH, but the cops don't know their butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to legal bikes. They see scooter and write tickets. I got tired of going to court to prove it was a class 2 motorcycle so we sold it.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
00DodgeMan
AF Newbie

I've been really considering a Shadow, because it looks a lot like the rebel, which i like, but it's got the bigger engines. And I'm 5'9" and 155lbs, so if you don't have any trouble on it with a passenger, I'll be more than happy by myself with my permit. Not to mention, I won't be confident enough to go 90 for a long time anyway.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:05 AM   #9
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I'm a bit biased, but you absolutely can't go wrong with an 800 Intruder. Compact, good handling, great looks, bulletproof driveline, low maintenance, shaft drive, liquid cooled, in head to head tests out performed bikes with almost twice the displacement. The 800 quarter mile time is .5 second FASTER than the 1400 of the same year.

They rev a bit high on the highway, but if you are new to riding, you won't know the difference. Besides, you can't hurt it. I've just had other V-twins that turned slower revs on the highway, so the 800 sounded a bit hyperactive to me at first.

I have had all kinds and styles of bike, and I have to say this is one of the best. If you'd like to know more about them and see about ones for sale, check out our club online, we have over 7,000 members and it's a great resource for Intruder info, and great info about cycling in general. All are welcome, even if you don't ride. The site is:

www.intruderalert.com

Anyhow, if you are going to do any serious highway riding, 750cc is probably as low as you'd wanna go. Smaller can do it, but they tend to be working real hard, not getting real good mileage, and the high revs can be fatiguing to the rider.

We have a member who has put over 25,000 miles on his 800 in two years,been everywhere in the US and Canada with it. It has never failed him. With all these members, you'd think SOMEONE would have had a major failure of an engine or something, but honestly in the couple of years I've been with them, I've never heard of it.

That says volumes right there...

Anyway, check us out. If you join, send me a PM, my handle there is the same as here, jeffcoslacker.

Good luck on your search!

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

PS the Intruder 800's average 45-50 mpg.

...empty gun rack.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:24 AM   #11
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Here's a pic of a member's VS800, in case you aren't familiar with the model....

...empty gun rack.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
Jon Teeter
AF Regular

Gs500e 55mpg great first bike
Jon Teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
mikey85
AF Newbie

I would have to say the the best starter bike would be a ninja 500. I bought a 96 in good shape for $1500 2 years ago. I also had a Buell 1200 at the time and I preferred the ninja. It handled very very well. Has good acceleration and decent top end. It would just about stay with that Buell. It got 40mpg consistently
mikey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #14
road_rascal
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to road_rascal

A Honda Nighthawk 750 is also a good bike. Bulletproof motor (no valve adjustments), simple to work on, easy on gas and insurance. You can turn it into a semi-sport bike or a capable cross country tourer with bolt on hard luggage and a big windshield.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes