Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
djtroz
AF Newbie

01 Expy - Getting Ready to Replace Plugs

Wish me luck. Last time I replaced them (Dec 07), I had a plug blow-out during a trip out of state. I have feared touching the plugs since then. Well now, 60k miles later and getting hesitation when excelerating and occasional misfiring, I figure it's time... <sigh>. Hopefully they stay put this time so I dont face another $800 job.
djtroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 01 Expy - Getting Ready to Replace Plugs

I'm guessing when you started threading them last time you use a ratchet. You can't tell if you are crossthreading them doing it that way. Start them by hand, if you can't reach, add an extension but no ratchet.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
djtroz
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
I'm guessing when you started threading them last time you use a ratchet. You can't tell if you are crossthreading them doing it that way. Start them by hand, if you can't reach, add an extension but no ratchet.
No, I always hand-tighten until the plug butts up to the head before using the ratchet. Out if all re vehicles that I have replaced plugs on never have I had this problem.

I read somewhere that the best preventitve measure for these engines is every few months hand-check the plugs to see if any are loose.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
djtroz
AF Newbie

Finally got around to doing them the other night. Took a few hours as expected but hit a snag when taking out the plug that had blown out prior. The Ford dealership that had repaired it by using a steel sleeve and threaded insert. When I took the plug out, the threaded insert came with it. I tried my hardest to get it all the way back down to where they had it but it wasnt happening. I got it down about half the distance and it's tight but have the fear that it may blow again. I'll probably have a shop put in a new insert (probably by Timesert) that will lock in place to prevent another blowout.