Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Mango™
AF Regular

Red face 06 Cruiser changing trans fluid question

2006 PT Cruiser 85k miles.

I am thinking of chaning my trans fluid my self. first question, is it easy? I have done cars in the past and some times there is no drain plugs, you have lean the pan over. Is it easy to drop the pan and replace the filter? Should I take it to a garage and let them do it for $100 + -$25?

Parts for for me to do it is, $9.99 plus tax, filter, o-ring and metal catcher tray looking thing. Plus fluid. Also, how much fluid does it hold?

Thanks all!
Mango™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
mrrepairman
AF Newbie

Re: 06 Cruiser changing trans fluid question

there is no dip stick to check level, Manual says good for 100k. unless your hard on it or being proactive it should be ok. If it aint broke don't fix it, If you decide to do it MEASURE every drop coming out,if you guess you flip a coin, best to get some specs first,Filter kit @ ORielly Auto $15.00, standard chrysler fluid is ATF+4 BUT check with a trany shop first.
mrrepairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
mrrepairman
AF Newbie

This is s reply from another forum

If your PT is an automatic, change the oil with ATF+4 only (nothing else will do). Change the filter also. Fill it back up (measure the exact amount of old automatic transmission oil you took out of your tranny--then put that much back in ... although it's messy, it's necessary so you don't overfill).

Good luck.
mrrepairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Mango, you can do it! Just pay attention and be safe. Not a hard job just messy. On the other hand if you feel uncomfortable better take it somewhere.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible