Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 PM   #1
duffer42
AF Newbie

Angry 03 cruiser steering

We have an 03 cruiser with 16000 miles on it . Latley the power steering pump has started to whine. The first time they told us they bled the system and topped it off with fluid ( I know that's a load of BS) It happened again and is also missing, the dealer now says the steering rack is bad and it might be the missing problem ( I smell more BS) has anyone else had similar problems ?
duffer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
doogie48084
AF Newbie

Re: 03 cruiser steering

I have a 2001 and my power steering was recently whining very loudly. I topped off my flid and it quit, but I will admit it was extremely noisy for being only a mall amount low.
doogie48084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:46 AM   #3
caver723
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer42
We have an 03 cruiser with 16000 miles on it . Latley the power steering pump has started to whine. The first time they told us they bled the system and topped it off with fluid ( I know that's a load of BS) It happened again and is also missing, the dealer now says the steering rack is bad and it might be the missing problem ( I smell more BS) has anyone else had similar problems ?
I have an 01 Cruiser with that problem at about 40K miles. Went to a buddy at a NAPA store who used to be a mechanic. He suggested I try an additive made for noisy differentials. I don't remember the name of it, but it was a 4 oz. bottle. I sucked out that much of the p. s. fluid and put in the additive. The noise went away and hasn't come back.
caver723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
prpro22940
AF Newbie

Post PT Cruiser Power Steering Pump

My PT with 12,000 miles had a whine. After four returns to the dealer and a fix after a recall, they finially determined that the pump was bad. Tried to install two more pumps and still can't find one that isn't defective. Lesson learned. Don't believe the dealer eyewash about shims, adding oil (oil masks everything) have them replace it on their dime and check it thoroughly before you drive away.
prpro22940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
yale329
AF Regular

Well, folks I am back and only after a few months and 7 power steering fixes. The last $1500.00 replacement was my bill and I thought I was safe after the rack blew, Most likely because of leaking and bursting hoses over 4 years. This started at 30,000 km. Just to let everyone know Chrysler Canada now has cold weather replacement hoses that will be fixed again at no expense to me I hope. All this started with a whine and many bursting hoses. I guess I question where, why and how this special hose is available now. Could it be a very quiet recall? We in the USA and Canada do get cold weather so Im puzzled, mad and getting fed up with power steering issues.
yale329 is offline   Reply With Quote