Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
DB240SX
AF Newbie

Exclamation need desperate help with leaking gas tank

Hello. My girlfriend has a 1995 Nissan 240SX that she got about 8 months ago. About 3 weeks ago the gas tank sprung a nasty leak. My brother-in-law is ass. man. at a large Nissan dealership's body shop, so we put it on the rack, checked it out and found a crack at the front right top of the tank, RIGHT by the straps.

We replaced it with a used tank and then about six hours later that night, the new used tank sprung a leak/crack in the exact same spot. Btw, pulling a tank is about 8 hours of work: you have to drop all kinds of stuff like the exhaust system and the ENTIRE rear IRS (suspension) . Also, a new tank is about $400 (if Nissan had ANY ANYWHERE in the country) and the labor is 8 hours flat rate (that's 8 x $84 of labor), just to explain why we didn't pay someone else to fix this.

Realize that I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I believe that the problem is being caused by the 115 degree heat causing air pressure to build-up in the tank.

What I need help with is: there HAS to be a system to release pressure, such as a hose going from the tank to a vapor canister which goes into something like the intake manifold. My Mustang has a system like this. Pressure WILL build-up in gas tanks in this heat.

Does anyone know of a solenoid or system that I should be looking for that's no longer relieving pressure from the tank?

TIA!
DB240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
snake-pliskin
AF Newbie

try drilling a small hole in the fuel filler cap just a lil one use an 8th size drill bit that should do the trick.
snake-pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
DB240SX
AF Newbie

Re: need desperate help with leaking gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake-pliskin
try drilling a small hole in the fuel filler cap just a lil one use an 8th size drill bit that should do the trick.
This is an old thread now. It turns out that for some reason, the right strap was pinching the tank too much and causing it too crack. We have another used tank on order and won't be using that strap again.

Thanks for your help, though.
DB240SX is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > General Discussion