Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

What when we die...

Hi friends, I have been thinking about what will happens to my models when I die, I think this because a member of my scale club in Mexico died 3 months ago.
He used to build military planes and fighters, with great detail, and he had a lot of models in big scales.

His family says they dont have enought room for the models, so my club asked them to give us the models for a exhibition in a museum, because the museum invited us, but we are thinking to ask the family to donate the models to the museum, other wise the models would be in storage boxes forever or be distroyed.
Personally I dont know what my family would do with my models...sell them?, give them away?, donate them?, My son is just 3 years old now, so maybe when he is grow up I would give the models to him is he is interested in scale models, but, if he doesnt?
My models are regular level, but a lot of models I have seen here are just amazing and I wonder what about them in the future, It would be great having a scale model museum so many models around the world rest there so many people could see them.
What do you think about this matter?
ALEX GAROLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
Re: What when we die...

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
65 Stingray
AF Newbie

Quite frankly, the General Dynamics b-25 Hustler in the photograph is a nice model. Without seeing all the detail in person, it looks so far as a nice museum piece. If your models are in perfect detail and paint profile, they would be worthy of a museum showpiece.

Please don't take this too harsh or disconcerning, but, to have a museum quality piece, it must be to almost perfect detail. As you know, the correct paint scheme and tail numbers for the years in service and any rarities that stand out... the better on the model.

My father served 3 tours in Viet Nam. One tour involved his flying a B-52 D model. I actually got to see one of the planes he flew. He told me about he times he was shot up and the patches on the plane. I saw the plane and the patches... The model built reflected those patches along with the tail number and photographs of the actual plane.

If your able to find the actual plane with the tail number you want to use.... Try and get it down to the smallest detail for the museum. If your doing General Dynamics aircraft, check out the static displays in Fort Worth Texas.

And most important... If your son likes the models... give them to him! Let him do what he wants whatever that may be.
65 Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
kingkai
AF Regular

I think Alex just wants to hear our thoughts on the subject.

Strangely I have been thinking about that aswell for the past year. I am only 24 years of age, but have had 2 nearly dead experiences so maybe I am well aware it could be finished any time.
My family knows I spent a lot of money on collecting, but I think they would faint on the day they would discover my full still to do collection and what it would be worth exactly (At least what I spent all these years on collecting 1/24 racers )

But what would be done with my collection (finished and unfinished boxes)... I guess I would need to make a inventory on the kits for selling and where this would need to be done.
I just hope I'll outlive that day and my future to be children? would like it to finish it (or my parents would wait for other grandchildren of my sister)

My parents luckally know that they shouldn't throw it away and see if they could make somebody else happy with the collection/kits
kingkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

My Mrs said they'll be going in the coffin with me!!
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheene Machine View Post
My Mrs said they'll be going in the coffin with me!!

I don't care

This is cos I don't finish a single models, a though less....
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
star21
AF Regular

Sadly, I think for many families that are not interested in scale modeling will end up putting them on ebay. Just throwing them away? I doubt it unless they need to get their head checked (especially in this economy). If anything, I'd say some of them would at least have the sense to sell it at a garage sense at the very least.
star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I've given this one some thought myself. I decided the best way for my models to be preserved is to sell them to collectors that don't have the time/skill/interest to build themselves.

I keep about 10 completed models in my case and when I complete something and need room I sell my least favorite model currently in the case. After being in the case for 2 or 3 years I've had the chance to show the model at contests and any latent defects will have surfaced and been remedied.

I reason that if someone pays a good price for something they'll be more likely to preserve it. Whatever you decide, don't give away models. Human nature being what it is, most folks equate free with worthless. Attend full-scale car shows and auctions and get to know some collectors. Many of them buy die-cast models and would jump at the chance to purchase high-detail professional models.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
360spider
AF Moderator

Since I build for collectors sometimes, I know the "value" of the model that I keep for my collection. I have compiled a little spreadsheet with this information, and also contact info of people who might be interested in buying them. Then I instructed my wife to sell them, if my son doesn't want them. Easy.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling