Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Afmoty 2015?

Will there be one?

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Afmoty 2015?

Is it that time of year again already.....

Good question! I would certainly like to see it happen, as I have been working furiously on finishing a build before the years end. If it happens this year, I'm in.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Same here!
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

I don't know if I've even finished anything in 2015:/ Or even posted here if I did. I need to get on that.
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
denilsonvm
AF Enthusiast

I'm in
denilsonvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #6
is200_adelaide
AF Regular

I'm working on something right now hopefully done soon, count me in too
is200_adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
360spider
AF Moderator

Last few MOTYs were complete disasters from the participation and organizational standpoints. Most of the folks that said they will enter never did, most of the members didn't vote, we practically had to beg people to send in the entries and votes.
Some people who committed to providing prizes never came through, and Tang had to cover major part of the cost for the prizes.
Its very time consuming on organizers and volunteers part that help with counting and logistics of the whole thing. Half of the forum wants to enter, and in the end, 20 people do, even less vote. We've been through this.
Unless there are firm commitments from helpers, sponsors, and dedication from members to enter and vote, I don't see how AFMOTY even makes sense anymore.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
is200_adelaide
AF Regular

This is very true. Just a thought, but what if we created a models of 2015 appreciation thread and the only rule being you can only submit what you believe is your best model of the year, perhaps limited to 2 or 3 image? I know it doesn't have the competition part but I really liked just seeing what everyone had been doing for the year.

Might even get a few people that would bother with AFMOTY to post something up too?
is200_adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
Unless there are firm commitments from helpers, sponsors, and dedication from members to enter and vote, I don't see how AFMOTY even makes sense anymore.
Hard to disagree with- especially in that nobody seems to be disagreeing. Alex has put in terrific effort for several years to make MOTY happen. I hugely appreciate him doing this, and I know I am not alone here. (Personally, I'm happy to see Alex still with us- for a few years, MOTY was burning out moderators. )

It's sad to see a long standing tradition shelved. This one has long provided some fun and excitement around here for the new year. But is also true (as is200 pointed out) that we don't necessarily need to shelve all of it. As much fun as a contest has been, MOTY has provided two things that I have particularly liked:

1- It's been a motivation to actually finish a build by the end of the year. I have several builds in my cabinet that were finished in part so I could submit them for MOTY. And as I often haven't been building much the last several years, having that bit of extra motivation has been great! Honestly this year I have been doing it again, working to finish a build before the deadline.

2- It's been great to see a thread of everyone's best builds of the year. Winners and voting and prizes aside, that has been what I have enjoyed most- and what I would miss most if it didn't happen.

So, what about a 2015 Yearbook/Victory Lap? Everyone would be invited to submit one pic of their favorite build completed in 2015, with a link to the build/finished thread. No points, no prizes, but a collection of fantastic builds to inspire us in the new year.

Would you submit your favorite build of the year?
Old 12-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

What's frustrating is that I can organize and run an event like AFMOTY just fine, but I'm not authorized to do it.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Authorized...?

Funny you should say. As far as I know, we don't technically have a requirement for MOTY to be run by a moderator. As it's a semi official appearing AF function we tend to like to have a mod involved. But if memory serves, the first year that Alex did it he wasn't yet a mod.

Hiroaki, you're certainly a long time member in good standing. If you're volunteering, you're awesome. I think this is not going to be a high participation year- but if this is something you would like to make happen, I expect something can be made to work
Old 12-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

As every year since I subscribed this forum I will participate if there will be any Moty

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
Hawk312
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegt40 View Post
As every year since I subscribed this forum I will participate if there will be any Moty

Same here. I don`t think I missed a year yet.

Comparing the very first MOTY contest to the ones held recently, and this is just from memory, it seemed the first one had more hype building up to it. Maybe because it was a new idea? I`m not sure. It also felt like we were a slightly closer knit group here (this was before the 5 additional sub forums), but that is relative and also subjective, so I digress. It seems lately, sometime in late November or December, someone a posts a "So are we having MOTY this year..." type thread, and it develops from that. What if we expected an announcement by the organizer of the contest sometime in mid November saying something like "Get your entries ready for this years` MOTY contest!" and have it stickied across all the forums? And if the organizer is unable to fulfill his roll, he passes along the torch to someone else?
I always look forward to the day when the entries are posted with all the amazing talent here, and I would hate to see it all go away.

1/12th `69 Z/28 Camaro and 1/12 `67 Corvettes
Hawk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
360spider
AF Moderator

Hiro, I am certainly not opposed if you take the reigns, so to speak, of running AFMOTY.
Let me know if you need any help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling