Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 07:42 PM   #1
Beef
AF Newbie

"Is there anybody .......out there...."

Sorry had to do it.......love Pink Floyd

Where are all the Z owners @???

Well doing a restore job on mine........but I have a cust intake man w/ 290cfm holley 4brrl sitting atop, cust exhaust header & exhuast.....oh and a MSD elctronic ignition ......... having problems finding the wire for the tach though......any suggestions???

1986.5 NA MKIII (A/B/A/B/.8)
  • Custom Hard Pipe Intake w/ Cone Filter
  • H4 Conversion
  • TEMS Mod
  • Beef's Fog Light Mod
  • SOGI Short Shift Mod
  • Intrax Springs
  • Illumina IIs
  • NGK Wires w/ Bosch +4s
Email - jabelitis@verizongni.com

1973 240Z (Awaiting 2.8T & 5spd)
1982 Toy 4X4 (200k & still running)
1986 Turbo Toy 4x4 (Rare)
1991 Toy 2x4 (Project Turbo Toy looking for 22RE)

If anyone is interested in :
  • 1986.5 MKIII NA (No Title)
    1985 Prelude (No Tiltle)
    1992 Celica (Front End Damage)
Let me know I will sell them CHEAP
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 08:14 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
"This should ease the pain, get you on your feet again"

thats alright Im bit of a flyodohpile myself.

There number of 240z owners in pretty good proportion to the number of 240z left. as they are now becoming rare and desirable cars, so to do 240z owners with internet conections.

Any way Iv always been a fan of them, can I ask what made you drop the dual side drafts and go with a single downdraft?
I would have thought it would be easier, cheaper, and gain you more hp by going with Tripple twin throtes?
Old 11-21-2001, 09:51 PM   #3
Beef
AF Newbie

You got the right album but wrong song...... BTW have you seen Pink Floyd's The Wall (movie) in dolby digital surround yet.....it is badass one of the first dvds i bought

Well got the car like it...i want to get a triple side draft weber kit but i hear it is a real PITA to tune.......

I plan on putting the car back to stock as possible execpt for the hp and susp. mods.....then get another 240 and drop the L28 T in it..... unfortunatly I do nt have time for it

Right now I am looking for a MKIV TT Supra.......never experienced a car like that before.. OMG

1986.5 NA MKIII (A/B/A/B/.8)
  • Custom Hard Pipe Intake w/ Cone Filter
  • H4 Conversion
  • TEMS Mod
  • Beef's Fog Light Mod
  • SOGI Short Shift Mod
  • Intrax Springs
  • Illumina IIs
  • NGK Wires w/ Bosch +4s

1973 240Z (Awaiting 2.8T & 5spd)
1982 Toy 4X4 (200k & still running)
1986 Turbo Toy 4x4 (Rare)
1991 Toy 2x4 (Project Turbo Toy looking for 22RE)

If anyone is interested in :
  • 1986.5 MKIII NA (No Title)
    1985 Prelude (No Tiltle)
    1992 Celica (Front End Damage)
Let me know I will sell them CHEAP
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:31 PM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by Beef
You got the right album but wrong song...... BTW have you seen Pink Floyd's The Wall (movie) in dolby digital surround yet.....it is badass one of the first dvds i bought
Got it! had it for some time infact. Its the only DVD I own, and only one Iv even listened to the commentry all the way though on.

Webbers are not that hard to tune. and once set will stay that way with only a 12mnth fiddle.
You need a dyno to get them set up properly first time, but the power gains over a single downdraft on a cutom manifold will more than make up for that.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:03 PM   #5
BleachZee
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to BleachZee
Red face Intakes

Tripple webbers (properly tuned) can only ad 8-10 horpose power above 6,000 rpm. that single downdraft is not recommended at all. You lose power from the stock SU carbs. Side draft SU carbs with the right needles from Ztherapy are the best intake for an L6. Especially if you only have the L24. Tripples won't do a thing for an L24. You need the larger L28 to take advantage of them.

How could you need 6 intakes when you only have probably one 2.5" exhaust pipe. You have more air going out than going in anyway... Go with dual SUs or fuel injection
BleachZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:49 AM   #6
Joe-Z
AF Newbie

yea i have the same set up on my Z,390cfm 4-barrel,adapter manafold to SU intakes,and i have not probs with the setup other than gas milage,and before you start asking why i swiched from SU's i did'nt ,i bought the car like this and it going to be a pain in the ass to switch back to SU's cause i would have to remove all the nitrous lines and shit so if i'm going to do that i'm going to do a engine swap,and i'm thinking about doing a 2JZ-GTE swap,has anyone ever heard of doing this swap.
i'm vere intrested in this swap cause i dont think anyone has ever done this but i could be worng.

thanks for any info.

Joe
Joe-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
SuperchargedRex
AF Newbie

A good friend has a '71 240 with the dual SU carbs. He had the motor rebuilt by a shop that supposedly knew what they were doing, but he's had nothing but trouble since then. Apparently, they put a new cam in, the carbs were set up all wrong, and the choke was screwed up as well. Its running now, but not that well. He's considered switching over to fuel injection, do you guys have any suggestions on setups that have been used before?
Old 01-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #8
integr8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to integr8
I'm not a 240 owner but I had to add my to cents when I saw how tiny this forum was. Its sad really that there arent still more around. What a beautifully perfect little car the Z is. My all time favorite and Id love to find and restore one someday! Ive always wanted a racing orange 240z for as long as I can remeber. Ive never worked on anything that wasnt fuel injected though Im sketchy about that, they seem to be a bitch to get to run right from what Ive heard. What exactly is the problem with the carb and stuff that you guys are talking about? And remember Im an idiot when it comes to carbs, they never made sense to me. All inneficient and touchy and stuff....just never understood "the primative carb." lol

And good luck, its nice to see people workin on Z's.....AND it sounds like you all know your stuff. Thats encouraging.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:47 PM   #9
the240zracer
AF Newbie

nothing wrong with SUs..just dumb owners.

maybe dumb is a little harsh....lets say mis-informed.

SUs are by far that most perfect carb. self metering, clean, simple and very basic. they have been used for many many years...and are still used today. triples of the right size will produce more usable HP over a broader range than SUs. the debate is still open for the SUs VS tripples subject....but anyfool should see that proper tuning will result in more HP. on a L24 tripple 35 mikunis will rock until and after redline. 40s will bog her down and 45s will make it a dog until 5K. on the bigger 2.6-28 though...with a proper exhaust....and you rock the casbah. after all....look at the BMW M3...one throttle body for each cylinder....now why would you do that for no reason? thats right you wouldnt.

anywho....its a shame what people do to earlys Zs just because of false info being poured into the owners head from biased psudo-mechanics whos best advise is to "get a fourbarrel" GAWK! or better yet....switch to FI or the "better" downdraft webbers! ha! look at the intake manifold!!! it bends down then back up again....go ahead and make your car run like bung. if you want real tuning advise...buy the Ztherapy SU tuning video. its a wise investment. and even buy a old SU...take it apart and compare it to a fourbarrel....tell me what you think then.

laterZ
71 Honda N600
69 plymouth valiant
87 nissan sentra.
the240zracer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)