Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
BurninFingerTipz
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to BurninFingerTipz Send a message via AIM to BurninFingerTipz Send a message via MSN to BurninFingerTipz
'04 Cavalier - No Air Out Windsheild Vent [SOLVED]

I just recently bought an '04 Cavalier, (to replace my '92 Corsica,) with only 9.6 thousand miles on it, got a great deal on it.

Anyway, this morning is was cold out (20F), so there was frost on the windsheild and fogged up on the inside. I tried both defrost and defog and no air comes out the top-center vent on the dash for the windsheild. Instead, it came out the front vents.

Now, the day after I bought it, I remember turning it to the right, (from the front Vent to the Bi-level on right,) it seemed like it was not wanting to turn right... Moved it one left, and back right and it worked fine, (unsure if I felt to see if air came out of the top-center vent or not.)

I don't know if something broke, but I didn't hear anything as if it would have broke.

Question is, how for I check to see if the doors/flaps to make sure it's not stuck or off. Also, if that isn't the issue, what else could it be?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
- Dave

[Edit] - Forgot to mention, it is still under warrenty, so worse case, I can just take it in and have them look at it and fix it.

Last edited by BurninFingerTipz; 03-19-2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Issue Solved
BurninFingerTipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
shakewell
AF Regular

Re: '04 Cavalier - No Air Out Windsheild Vent

If it's under warranty, don't screw with it. Let them fix it for free.

My $.02
shakewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Cl0ak
AF Enthusiast

I've had the same problem with my 2003 since I got it in like 2004. In the winter time I just let it run for 10-15 minutes on the 3rd highest setting and it clears up. Put it to the colder side if its just foggy stuff and on the heat if its iced up. The cars small enough eventually it'll clear out, usually I have a small circle that clears and than it spreads across the windshield. Fix it when you have a chance but for now at least it'll be drivable it just needs time to warm up to clear.

95 Pontiac Trans Am SOLD
03 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD
03 Mercury Sable
Cl0ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
BurninFingerTipz
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to BurninFingerTipz Send a message via AIM to BurninFingerTipz Send a message via MSN to BurninFingerTipz
Smile Re: '04 Cavalier - No Air Out Windsheild Vent

Took it into the dealer, as shakewell suggested, since I had nothing to do after work.

They said that why it was hard to turn right was because of the cable being twisted, and then I guess it broke. Which I didn't think I forced the turn to the right that much, but would explain why it was hard to turn. Also, while they had it apart they replaced a foam seal and put a seal kit on, free of charge.

End result, works great. No more spreading circle on the windshield. Feels good not to pay a repair bill. Paid too much of those with my Corsica. Can't believe I wasted my money and practically bought that thing twice.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and thought I'd give you a post back for solution purposes.

- Dave
Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
gbusby
AF Newbie

Same problem with my '04 cav. Control cable twisted due to vent sticking. (Probably why they replaced the seal for you.) But mine is not under warranty anymore. Anybody got a part number for that cable?? And a fix for the sticky vent??
gbusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
BurninFingerTipz
AF Newbie

Dunno if this is the right numbers or not, but off my receipt it has this information for the cable install:
RO Number: 151284
OP Code: D0450

On another receipt, it states this:
D0450 Cables, Ait Distribution Heater, and A/C Mode R&R or Replace.
101 WGM (N/C) [No Charge]
1 [Quanity] 89018243 Cable (N/C) [No Charge]

For the vent seal they have:
D9709 Install Foam Seal
1001 WGM (N/C)
1 89018656 Seal Kit (N/C)

Guessing those D codes are labor codes.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
gbusby
AF Newbie

You rock!!

The 8901#### are the factory part numbers. Ordered the seal kit and new cable for a total of $17.03.

For the reference of anyone else reading, there seems to be quite a lot of issues in this forum about directed air into the cabin. I know on my '04, the deflector is controled by this cable. it's like a bike brake cable; anyway, when the seal sticks, the cable cant push the vent open and it bends and kinks. you no longer have the ability to redirect the air. I have been able to reach my hand under the dash, right behind the vent control and straighten the cable and get it to work. but after all the bending, it finally broke.
gbusby is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier