Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
DPG
AF Newbie

250 GTO Replica

How is it viewed when a Nissan 240 Z car is used as the base for building a Replica 250 GTO? Does anybody see it as a running model of the car or does everyone view it as a fake? I have been thinking about doing the kit because the chance of getting one is just a tad out of reach.

Thanks for your replies,
David
DPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

Most people would view it as a fake. If I were you I would just spend my money elsewhere. Go out and buy yourself a nice pair of matching turbos and a lovely intercooler. IMHO that would be more appreciated than a car that isn't really what it looks like.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
I agree with you Snowboarder. I think most people that see replicas(those who know that they are replicas) just laugh. I know I do, With a replica you get no respect just people who will laugh at you. Save yourself the embarrasement and get turbos.
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:15 AM   #4
DPG
AF Newbie

Check this out.
http://www.hybridz.org/Review/0002/Ferrari_GTO.htm

The is pretty close. Please give your honest opinions and please realize that I am not an expert.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:32 PM   #5
DPG
AF Newbie

Does anybody have anything to say about the link that I put above?
Old 02-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

I actually just saw a 250 GTO replica driving around yesterday. I was trying to get the guy to pull over so I could talk to him but he wasn't having any of it. It didn't look very real though, the key hole was missing in the trunk and the exhaust shook like a mofo when he went over bumps. still a gorgeous car.

as for that link, very informative but a V8 in a "GTO" still isn't right.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #7
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
He probably didn't want to pull over b/c he knows its a replica and probably thinks you think its a "real" Ferrari. And if he pulls over you'll find out what it is. Man, how dorky would you feel, talk about being imbarrased.
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
SilverLotus340R
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SilverLotus340R
why does everyone want to replicate a ferrari? just goes to show that they are very popular! haha! but i dont see why youd use a 240Z to do it..the first time you started it up you'd know it wasnt a ferrari unless you put some big loud exhaust that makes it sound like a ferrari..and still then you wouldnt get ferrari engine sound..
Who’d dare build a car without doors or side windows or a hood? Only Lotus. And who’d dare drive one? You would. The 340R is the sports car for people who live to drive and want the whole experience as raw and as pure as it comes.
SilverLotus340R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:10 PM   #9
darkcity
AF Newbie

Well I think they use a 240Z because the styling is so similar to the 250. And of course you can't get the Ferrari sound..these kit conversions are just a hobby for us guys who can't afford $14 million dollar cars.

As for the link, I think it's a beautifully-done conversion. It's all in good fun, and besides, the chicks who you'll meet with that car won't know the difference!
darkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 10:26 PM   #10
DPG
AF Newbie

I think Darkcity see's my point. I am doing it for the love of the car, not to fool people. If anybody asked me if it was real I would just tell them that it wasn't, and I did it b/c I love the car that much and that there was and still is no chance to actually have one.

DPG
Old 03-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #11
Ringo
Banned

Why ruin a 240Z? It will not ride or sound like a GTO, so all you will get is the image.
As for "Gettin chicks" that's like wearing one of those oversize strap-on dildos "they won't know the difference"
Be real
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:40 PM   #12
DPG
AF Newbie

I 'm not worried about the chicks, and as for the car, real or not, it is beautiful. In its real form, more beautiful? Yes. But I wouldn't mind having a piece of something that is unattainable in basic reality. I could be happy getting up each day and looking at an almost perfect model of a 250 GTO. If you want a perfect 240 Z, cool, but there is something much sexier to me about a Ferrari, real or almost exact replica. I would not try to replicate an F40 or an F355, simply b/c those cars to me I would want to drive all the time. The 250 GTO I want to stare and drool at.

DPG
Old 03-03-2003, 06:17 AM   #13
Ringo
Banned

They should sell a kit that comes with the tube chassis and suspension, like on those AC Cobra kits. I wonder if there are any Ferrari motors at junkyards.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:32 AM   #14
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Most kit cars suck, very few look like the real thing, even the 240Z conversion. Let it be.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:45 PM   #15
Kerbie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Veyron
Most kit cars suck, very few look like the real thing, even the 240Z conversion. Let it be.
I have seen a replica of a 250GTO done from a 240z base. It was nothing short of AMAZING !!!
I was even fooled at first! but as soon as i got right up to the car to see the interior, i could tell that it was a fake. All the dash was orriginal but the body... OH MY GOD!
He even had real wheels. I dont know how he would have got those but he found them somewhere.
I met the guy and he was really cool. I asked him what it was and he told me straight away that it was a 240z and that he built it cause he loved the real car. (sound femiliar?[sp?])
Anyway, I dont know if i would ever build one myself but I understand the motive behind it.

Why can't everyone just drive a supercar. Then we would all have peace. Maybe not.
Kerbie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > Classics