Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #61
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: Whats the point of Front Wheel drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereth

I would rather you start naming the performance advantages of FWD though, as I asked in my last post.

Less weight, which is a pretty big factor in any performance car. How many 1,000kg RWD performance cars are there that still have 4 comfortable seats and a roof?
Lower power loss though a less complex drive line which can also mean better, and more direct throttle response. In 1989 Honda was making drive lines with only a 12% powerless from the flywheel to the wheels. Compared to 25% in the average RWD from the same period. I believe they have since improved on it, 8% was the best figure I have heard, while 15% is still the best I have heard for a RWD car.
Different on and off throttle handling characteristics, that some drivers do enjoy over the old RWD attributes.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #62
Nereth
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Less weight, which is a pretty big factor in any performance car. How many 1,000kg RWD performance cars are there that still have 4 comfortable seats and a roof?
Lower power loss though a less complex drive line which can also mean better, and more direct throttle response. In 1989 Honda was making drive lines with only a 12% powerless from the flywheel to the wheels. Compared to 25% in the average RWD from the same period. I believe they have since improved on it, 8% was the best figure I have heard, while 15% is still the best I have heard for a RWD car.
Different on and off throttle handling characteristics, that some drivers do enjoy over the old RWD attributes.
Thats more like it.

It's true that you can save weight with a FWD, that is a definite advantage.

Less power loss I think is only relevant with a transverse engine, though, because longitudinal mounted ones still need a differential, right? The differential is pretty much the biggest power sap, but the transaxle has to include one for longitudinal engines, doesn't it? I don't know much on that subject.

What do you mean about throttle response? I think the only difference is most likely the lack of driveshaft, but I don't think that will make a huge contribution (although it may). It's an interesting point that I haven't heard before, I'm going to try and calculate (oh no!) how much angular inertia there actually is in a moment.

The handling characterstics are valid, but I think it's too subjective to really count - the same thing can be said about RWD handling characteristics.

I wish the other people in this thread could make points like that.

Edit: well, I can't find any dimensions for any old driveshaft, so I guess that falls through, I'll just trust you on it.
Nereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #63
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereth
Less power loss I think is only relevant with a transverse engine, though, because longitudinal mounted ones still need a differential, right? The differential is pretty much the biggest power sap, but the transaxle has to include one for longitudinal engines, doesn't it? I don't know much on that subject.
How many fwd cars are there with a longitudinal engine?
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #64
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

^^^several...notably volvo and saab.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #65
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
^^^several...notably volvo and saab.
By several you mean 6, compared to the thousands of fwd models with the engine in sideways.
Subaru also did it on the impreza's that were based on a 4wd drivetrain but were only fwd.

Nereth was discounting a fwd benefit because it only applied to the transverse engines that make up the vast majority.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #66
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
How many fwd cars are there with a longitudinal engine?
Most front wheel drive 1.8-litre Audis, lots of the Audi 80/90/100s. various Renaults, Saab 900s. etc..

quite a few.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #67
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

acura 2.5 I5, 3.0 and 3.2 V6 (various models)

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #68
Nereth
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
By several you mean 6, compared to the thousands of fwd models with the engine in sideways.
Subaru also did it on the impreza's that were based on a 4wd drivetrain but were only fwd.

Nereth was discounting a fwd benefit because it only applied to the transverse engines that make up the vast majority.
I wasn't discounting it I was merely making an addition. I agree with that benefit.
Nereth is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical