Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Tommy2500
AF Newbie

Window fixed, now radio doesn't work

I repaired the drivers side power window on my '96 B2500 (sticky window regulator roller) and it works fine.
Now the radio and power mirrors and interior lights don't work. WTF????
I ckecked fuse..one fuse powers all three of these accessories...a 20 amp yellow blade type...fuse is OK...I even changed it out to a new 20 amp...no action on anything (radio,power mirriors, int. lights). So...where to turn next???
Could I have screwed up some wiring inside the door panel? All I touched/moved was the power windows switch (in it's bezel) when I removed the door panel. Could there be something inside the door that powers up the radio, int. lights and power mirrors???
Help. Any ideas, anyone?
Tommy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: Window fixed, now radio doesn't work

Is there power at both sides of the fuse when it's inserted?
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Tommy2500
AF Newbie

Yes. Test light shows power to both sides of the fuse when inserted.
I guess I need to follow that circuit to each accessory on it (radio, power mirrors,dome light,underhood light) and see where it's "hot" or not. What a potential ordeal that might be???Under dash, inside doors, under kick panels/ceiling panels .....UGH.
Thanks Alloro, once again...any more thoughts???
Old 08-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
alloro
AF Enthusiast

What's strange is that wiring would not run into the door then back out to power the other accessories. That means the problem is inside where you did not touch anything. Is the power mirror switch mounted in the door or the dash. If it's in the door then that's the next place I would test for power. If there is no power to the switch (key on), then start tracing that wire back to a splice.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
Tommy2500
AF Newbie

Yes, what a strange problem. Power mirror switch is mounted on the dash, under the light switch on lower left side of dash....I never touched it or that part of the dash at all. I will try to verify if pwr mirror has power, key on, as a next step. I know that neither the dome light nor underhood light has power to the fixture.
Could something be shorted out/unplugged/wire cut or frayed somewhere? Would that knock out the whole circuit? But why would the wiring, indeed, run into the door, then back out to power the accessories??? Can't think this one through.
I'm leaving on vacation for 5 days...no internet...so Van can sit there and fix itself!
Any further ideas I will try when I return. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
Tommy2500
AF Newbie

Got a chance to work on the Van today. Took off door panel again...no loose wires/unplugged connectors, etc. Tested the fuse panel again, and surprise! The circuit is hot even with key off. But then I thought...well, this circuit supplies the dome light, underhood light, radio memory (clock & radio stations) that all need to be hot without the key on...but then again, this circuit also supplies the power mirrors which don't work with the key off. It's such a strange problem...could it be a bad ground? I have a factory service manual (big purple book) for 1996 RWD Vans and it shows all the wiring and connectors and splices, etc. and their locations The ground for this circuit seems to be up under the left side of the dash in a very inaccessible spot....could this be the problem??? a bad ground for this circuit???
I really don't know much about electrical stuff so I'm trying to learn as I go along. Thanks.....any ideas???
Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Have you checked other fuses? You said yourself the fuse is hot with the key off, and certain accessories don't work with the key off. That means there is another circuit also powering those accessories.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #8
Tommy2500
AF Newbie

Problem solved. As Stealthee says,..." another circuit"...Well, I researched AF and found clues about the problem. Apparently, a circuit is powered up when the key is off..how else would the interior lights come on when a door is opened; or how else would the radio save its memory (time, stations, etc); or how else would the underhood light work??? Inside the PCM is a small, mini-blade type fuse protecting the "Ignition Off Draw" circuit...it draws off the battery without key on. Well, it is hooked in with the same circuit as the power mirrors (accessory) even though they won't work with the Ignition Off, the IOD fuse knocks out the whole circuit.
So, all's I can figure is that somehow a short happened in the unused wires in the door that are there to feed the courtesy door lights (the only option my Van doesn't have).
I think that the window regulator arm pinched these loose wires which would be fed by the IOD circuit, and blew the dang fuse. I went to NAPA and the guy didn't even charge me for a new 15amp mini-fuse. Slapped it in and...Presto! everything works! Cool.
Learn something every day...especially on AF.
Thanks to all.

Last edited by Tommy2500; 09-22-2015 at 12:01 AM. Reason: wrong word...I wrote "PCM" and meant "PDC". oops

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van