Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
albert22
AF Newbie

Question can rim crack be welded and tire used?

I backed my 2007 Cobalt LT out of the garage one very cold morning recently but didn’t sense something was wrong underneath because in this cold climate (upper Midwest) cold tires normally thump a few minutes until the flat spots fill out. However, I soon noticed a pull to the left, and different than normal sounds and vibrations. Something didn’t sound or feel right. I stopped after about 2 blocks and got out to look at the front end. I was surprised to see my driver’s side front tire had completely deflated and that I was virtually running on the rim. I slowly drove back to my driveway and put on my small spare so I could get to work.

When I inspected the rim later I found a small one inch long crack running from the edge toward the hub. I don’t know if it was a new crack or whether an original weld had opened. I am not a mechanic but I suspect the sequence of what happened is that the crack ruined the seal of the tire to the rim and because of that the air pressure was lost.

The questions I have about this situation are:
- Is it possible that the tire is still safe to use? It is still on the rim and looks none the worse for wear on the outside.
- Would it be a safe and normal procedure to have the rim welded and smoothed out then have the old tire or a new tire mounted?

Thanks for the advice.
albert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: can rim crack be welded and tire used?

Do not try to fix the wheel, when replacing it the tire can be more closely inspected for damage.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Chances are it's the original tire, and by riding on the rim you compromised it.....If original, would replace in pairs(2 new fronts)....agree with Max, replace the rim......

Also, if you are the original owner, would bring the rim to a Chevy dealer, to be checked for a defect in the rim(assuming the rim does not show that it had previously hit something).....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

if this is a steel rim the crack can be welded. problem I have is why did it crack. if you are the only driver and the rim was not hit/accident I would bring this to the GM dealer for replacement and I would carefully inspect all the rims for cracks.

could also be from tire installers.

alum rims can be fixed at some shops that specialize with this work if not too bad. cracks in alum I would not fix. if bent you can fix alum.which is common with a pothole hit .

your tire if not run long or at a high speed should be good. if the tires are 6 years old I would replace and also with tires off inspect all rims.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
albert22
AF Newbie

Many thanks to Maxwedge, Tech II and j cat for the insight and great advice. I waited a few days befoe replying but I think all votes are in now. On the basis of your advice I will skip the welding (my wheel is aluminum) and skip using the old tire. I never even thought of taking the wheel to a dealer to see if it was defective but I will give it a try. Thanks again for taking the time.

Albert22
albert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert22 View Post
Many thanks to Maxwedge, Tech II and j cat for the insight and great advice. I waited a few days befoe replying but I think all votes are in now. On the basis of your advice I will skip the welding (my wheel is aluminum) and skip using the old tire. I never even thought of taking the wheel to a dealer to see if it was defective but I will give it a try. Thanks again for taking the time.

Albert22
since the rim is aluminum not using it is correct. do not throw the rim away you can get scrap cash for that wheel.

I would check all wheels and try to figure out who damaged it or why the crack was created.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
crack , tire , weld
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt