Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Rear Subframe Insulators/Cushions/Mounts STUCK - 2002 3.8L with reinforcement bracket

Regarding the subframe mounts, I was able to change the front two, but the bottom of back left one (the top part) is literally jammed into the subframe. I tried prying it up from the sides, whacking it from underneath with a hammer (something started smoking?!?).. *nothing* will budge it. So I put the bottom part back and bolted it back up and left it alone.

Does anyone have ANY hints on how to press that thing out of the subframe? It looks like it's stuck into the bracket that was put on as part of the subframe recall. I had more than enough clearance above it so that it should have been able to move out of the hole. If this is too confusing I'll try to post some pics.

BTW - thanks to everyone for shaing so much valuable info on here. I went from hating this van to developing an "understanding" with it. Also, I asked the ford dealer where I bought the bushings if they could install the back 2 for me. They said it would be $469. I tried my best not to simultaneously laugh out loud and spit in the guy's face when he told me that.

Old thread about these bushings here: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=763484
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Windstartled
AF Regular

Re: Rear Subframe Insulators/Cushions/Mounts STUCK - 2002 3.8L with reinforcement bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacat View Post
BTW - thanks to everyone for shaing so much valuable info on here. I went from hating this van to developing an "understanding" with it.
As minivans go the Winnie is considered more DIY-friendly than average once you get to know it, that is once you've fixed enough problems and spent enough quality time lying underneath it to have developed a certain level of intimacy with it

Quote:
Also, I asked the ford dealer where I bought the bushings if they could install the back 2 for me. They said it would be $469. I tried my best not to simultaneously laugh out loud and spit in the guy's face when he told me that.
That is the reason why dealership servicing is usually avoided once the warranty has expired. Rule of thumb, they charge double what you'll pay elsewhere.
1995 BMW 540i 4.0L V8 - Weirdest car ever owned
Windstartled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Rear Subframe Insulators/Cushions/Mounts STUCK - 2002 3.8L with reinforcement bracket

I appreciate the input.

As for the bushings, I rented a large 3-jaw puller from oreilly's and bought a can of CRC freeze off. I'm about to go brave 90+degree heat to give it one more shot. (Hoping the heat plus the freeze spray will finally break this stupid thing loose.) If that doesn't work, I'm just going to live with the old ones.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I've changed all mine ... it was a few years back. I don't remember any difficulties. I rarely drive in much slush or salt, so there was little rust to contend with. Good luck. Be careful with that flame!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
I've changed all mine ... it was a few years back. I don't remember any difficulties. I rarely drive in much slush or salt, so there was little rust to contend with. Good luck. Be careful with that flame!
Know what it is? It's that megastrength glue they used for the recall bracket. I took it off again this afternoon and looked more carefully at it. The rubber pries up no problem but the round metal part is completely stuck to the frame. Now I need to find something to dissolve that adhesive. Sheesh, what a pain. Looks like I'm going to have to give up on this one or find someone with an OA torch who won't charge me an arm and a leg.