Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
teearr
AF Newbie

02 Grand Prix - Rubbing sound on front passenger tire

On the front passenger side tire of my 2002 Grand Prix, I've noticed a rubbing sound when I'm going between 45 and 60 mph. Usually when I get above 60 the sound stops. It also makes a pretty horrible grinding noise when I turn all the way to the left, but only when it's all the way to the left.

The rubbing sound seems like it's part of the plastic sort of fender enclosure or whatever that's just rubbing against the tire as it spins.

The grinding noise seems like something a bit more sinister.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I would like to try and at least fix the rubbing sound myself, assuming it's as easy as just replacing the plastic fender well.
teearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 02 Grand Prix - Rubbing sound on front passenger tire

Have you looked at the inner fender and splash shield to make sure nothing is rubbing the tire? Is the grinding noise when driving and turning left, or stopped and turning? You may have a noisy hub bearing if its when driving. Check power steering fluid level, there may be a leak causing air in the fluid.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Welcome to AF!!

I suggest that you have the axle shafts checked. This could be a bad CV joint. At the same time have the wheel bearing checked. If the bearing completely fails it could leave you sitting by the road.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
rickisrad
AF Regular

Like GTP dad says check the half shaft and wheel bearing. The plastic rubbing could be the splash shield as stated above. usually the passenger side will get pulled out. tuck it back under the oil filter area.
OVERKILL CUSTOM PCM, WIZAIR CAI, ZZP TRAILING ARMS, W BODY STORE LATERAL ARMS, ALL POLY/SOLID MOUNTS, STB F&R, ZZP RACE TRANS, ALT REWIRE & VOLTAGE BSTR, 180 STAT, NGK TR6, MPS with 3.4 PULLEY, PACESETTER HEADERS, 1.8 ROLLER ROCKERS, FP REWIRE,ZZP COILS/WIRES, TB SPACER, D&S ROTORS, INTERCEPTOR SCAN GAUGE, CUSTOM STAINLESS 2.5 INCH CAT BACK EXHAUST.
2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L
rickisrad is offline   Reply With Quote