Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
burhh27
AF Newbie

1996 Skylark Passlock Bypass

I have pretty well determined that it is the theft system that is causing the problems on my car. At first it would shut the engine off every once in a while and if I started it a couple of times it would work just fine, none of that sitting and waiting business. Then about a week ago I started the car up and it shut off the system and the light was blinking and there was no starting it at all. I did the relearning process where you leave the key in the start position and that worked for one trip, did it again to go home and it worked fine for about 4 starts after that and I haven't been able to get it to go at all since then. The car will turn over and then you can tell that the fuel is being cut off the the engine. I had a friend put in a resistor in the yellow wire that matched the ohms of the wire, or something like that. We tried to get it to relearn the code, and you could tell something was happening because the lights on the dash would all blink but nothing. I'm not sure if I should use a different resistor, use relays, buy a bypass module. I wouldn't mind paying the money for a different ignition if I hadn't heard that that wouldn't fix the problem at all.
GM should've probably made a system that didn't try and prevent people from stealing their OWN cars. I'm out just as much money if it get's stolen as I would be if I tried to fix it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
burhh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Chrisdasher
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Skylark Passlock Bypass

I have a 1997 Buick skylark new ignition switch put in in the morning it takes my hour or two to crank have tried every bypass I can think of once I get cranked the first time will crank every time only i in morning itohn on for ten min wait ten seconds three times . lock and unlock door ,pulled fuse under hood, unplugged battery fifteen mins nothing seems to help takes at least 45 mins or longer have to just keep turning key over and over till cranks replaced battery cylinder switch ,starters
Chrisdasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

OK, you are a little confusing.....

Does the car crank over, start, and then die a few seconds later, or it doesn't crank at all?

You replaced the ignition switch or the PassLock sensor/lock cylinder?

If you replaced the PassLock sensor/lock cylinder, did you go through the reset procedure?

If you replaced the ignition switch, why did you?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Chrisdasher
AF Newbie

Will not do anything in mornings when turn key nothing I believe it was the second thing you mentioned not ignition switch did not get code from dealer I have let it sit for ten mins to over ride the security system like it says but now takes me forever to crank and is now killing my new battery
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Chrisdasher
AF Newbie

Passlock sensor got from junk yard with a key
Old 05-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

That 10 minute procedure, is not an over ride, it is a reset procedure....it is ONLY used when a component is replaced.......it is not intended as a fix for a problem.....you can do the reset procedure, repeatedly, until the cows come home, but the problem will rear it's ugly head until the source of the problem is fixed....

Normally, replacing the PassLock sensor and doing the reset procedure, takes care of the problem......

However, there have been wiring problems between the sensor and the IPC(instrument cluster), and in rare cases, a bad instrument cluster......

Normally, the reset procedure is:

First, apply ebrake....this prevents auto lights from coming on......add a jumper box to battery to prevent battery rundown, and also so there won't be a reset problem with a weak battery(you don't want the battery to die in the middle of a 10 minute procedure)........

1. Turn key to crank position, and release(car may or may not crank over) to on position......THEFT/SECURITY light may flash or be on solid......after 10 minutes, the light should go out.....

2. Turn key to off, for 10 seconds, then turn key to on(don't crank).......wait 10 minutes, and light should go out.....

3. Turn key to off, for 10 seconds, then turn key to on(don't crank).......wait 10 minutes, and light should go out.....

4. Turn key to off, for 10 seconds.....then attempt to start the car....car should start and light should be out.........

One problem, is using a used replacement PassLock sensor/cylinder.....you may be replacing a bad sensor, with another bad one.....

There are several options.....new sensor, toggle switch procedure, or resistor installation.......toggle switch or resistor installation procedure can be found online by Google.......one more option, is a module that basically eliminates the whole system....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote