Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
lostdreamer23
AF Newbie

96 Olds Cutlass Supreme Door Issue

No one has posted on here in awhile, but I hope someone can help.

We had a very slight ice storm today and when I went to open my car door (drivers side) it wouldn't open. I pulled a little harder and it popped open. Got in the car and then the door wouldn't close. Finally slammed it closed..but my interior lights stayed on which makes me believe it thinks one of the doors are open. So, I drive home with interior lights on, get to my house and can't get my door open to get out. The lock button wouldn't fully unlock for a bit. Then finally got the door lock up all the way by flipping it automatically for a bit and now my door really won't open. Had to climb out the passenger door. My interior lights now won't go on at all unless I turn them on manually which isn't right. I'm vastly confused by this and hope someone can give me some advice on it. I really don't feel like climbing thru the passenger side door forever.

My car is a 2 door.
lostdreamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

Re: 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme Door Issue

thats a bummer... sounds like you bent up the rods inside the door panel. That doesnt explain why the door switchthinks the door is open... i mean, when you slammed it shut you must have really given it. You have to pry upthe handle and get that door open, then you have to look for the switch and confirm it is operable... can you trouble shoot electrical??thenyouhaveto takeoff that door panel and see what you might have damaged...cold weather generally makes everything a little stickyfor future referance...
Ian Szgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
jinxyzboi
AF Newbie

May I ask is this a 2 or 4 door supreme? If it is 2 door and the handles are on the side beam you're facing a nightmare. Not impossible but a nightmare non the less. The rods in there are extremely weak. These locks, rods, mechanisms are intolerant of cold weather. Especially the internal bottom piece of the actual handle you pull. It's pot (cheap) metal and breaks under any type of duress. If ice was binding it, then it probably broke and is wedged in between the lock rods. I have a 93 conv and have been thru multiple nightmares with mine. I am on like the 6th drivers door handle since the car was bought in 1998. Ok first you are going to have to actually get that drivers door open which is going to require a slim jim and someone with some talent. I'd suggest a friendly locksmith. Once the door is open you have to take off the cover plate that covers the "rods". You will know if that handle is broken because the bottom piece will fall right out onto the floor. You have to go online and buy a new handle. DON'T make the mistake of going to the salvage yard to get one. You may find one there but it wouldn't be much fun to put it on and then have to do it again in ten pulls! In respect to the electrical issues, there are sensors in the door that if these rods are in a bind, will assume anything incorrectly. The problem should straighten out once the issues above are resolved. Hope some or all of what I put has helped.
jinxyzboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Newbie, this post is 8 years old....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #5
jinxyzboi
AF Newbie

haha Tech II "newbie" may be new to here but I have been doing mechanics since I was 14, I'm 56. What a great way to welcome somone to a new site. You think that no one else reads these other than the one person that posted it? Sure am glad you aren't workinng on my cars LOL
jinxyzboi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series