Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
tanman34
AF Newbie

89 daytona ???

I am trying to get into racing at a local dirt track. I am just getting started and am trying to get in as cheap as possible until I figure out if I am serious about it. Just doing it for fun now.
I have an opp. to buy an 89 daytona with a 2.5 in it and a rollcage already for 500.00. The fella that has it has won races with it when it had the 2.2 in it. He has 4 of these 4 cyl bombers. He recently put the 2.5 in it and everything seems fine. Except when you rev it up the rev limiter kicks in to early. He says that it needs the 2.5 computer and everything will be good.
Does this sound correct???
Also he is not positve what year it is. Is there anyway to tell by the vin what yr and exact model it is??
Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!

Steve
tanman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
93_R/T_TT_Stealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via MSN to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via Yahoo to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth
Re: 89 daytona ???

Hello, I dont know why he would of put a 2.5 in over the 2.2 inter-cooled the 2.2 put out way more hp trq kind of strange if you ask me but there would the letter K in the vin # if it is a 89 here is a page to help you out do you have any photos you can post or email me an i can help you have a more positive idea about the car being i am very familiar with these vehicles as I have owned 5 an sold all but 2 because I have needed the money... here is the page for reference on the decoding of the dodge daytona vin #'s hope I can help you out, wouldn't want to see a fellow daytona fan be ripped off cause of some jerk trying to scam you....

http://www.allpar.com/model/daytona/...calls-VIN.html

Mathew

93' Stealth R/T Twin Turbo Intercooled - 24v DOHC 3.0 v6 engine - AWD AWS - 320 hp 317 lb ft. torque when I bought her unmolested hoping to be in the 600-700 hp when finished with ...

~FASTER THAN A SPEEDING TICKET~
93_R/T_TT_Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
tanman34
AF Newbie

Re: 89 daytona ???

Mathew I posted this a little while back. Since then i have bought the car. Fixed it up and raced it last Sat night at east bay raceway in gibsonton,fl.
This is the first of this type I have owned so I do not know all there is about the different engines. You can not run the turbos in this race class so if that is the 2.2 inter cooled??? then that is why he didnt put that in it.
I have not changed the comp. on it and have not noticed the rev limiter kicking in yet but it woouldnt idle and I think that is why he quit messing with it. I found that he bypassed the original fan and put in this big strong fan in. When he did that it messed up the comp. I stumbled across the fix to get it to idle when I was installing some guages, when you unplug the thermostat wires it would idle.
Raced it sat night and in my heat race I took the green flag and stomped on it and it died and wouldnt start. Got in the pits and found that the ruff rack had shook lose my tbi wire. Got it going in time for the feature. Started in 29th ended up in 17th after my quick release steering wheel released on me in the turn, went in to the wall and busted an axle in lap 8.
It has enough power to keep up in mid pack but willnever catch the faster cars. YET!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First race 4-10-10 029.jpg (24.9 KB, 3 views)
tanman34 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona