Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
ramses
AF Newbie

Best shocks for XTerra for smoother ride and handling???

My XTerra has horrible roll and pitch. I am looking to improve this with new shocks, I see lots of posting here but none that specifically say what the performance advantages are to each type of shock I see posted and how they each perform in relation to the pitch roll and diving I experience in my XTerra. I am not a hard core 4X4 guy but really would like to improve the ride and handling on both raod and dirt. Any input is greatly appreciated as I want to make the best decision possible.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Bilstiens...
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Bilsteins will help with your pitch and roll problem. New torsion bars will improve your pitch problem as well.

People who buy Bilsteins kick themselves for not doing it right after they bought their truck.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
xterra2k
AF Newbie

Amen,

My wife hated the ride of the truck but after the Bilsteins she hated that fact that she made me wait to change them out.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
Baugh009
AF Newbie

Wink

Hello,

I am not at all sure that I am doing this right. Could someone respond to the question of whether or not it is wise to "split" brands/types of shooks front/rear? I realize that shocks function collaboratively (especially, front v. rear); however, it seems that front v. rear also differring foci of function: fronts accuracy, stabilization in cornering;
rears sway, more support oriented.

Anyway, I am considering putting either Bilstein or Edelbrock (IAS) monotubes up front, and Doetsch Tech prerunners (DT 8900) in the rear.
My usage is 90% street and 10% mild off-road. I would appreciate anyone addressing the "split issue", and also the Edelbrock IAS's: predominately, I have read great things about them. However, I have also picked-up a thread of quality control (oil leakage) issues.

Any input will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

John Baughman
Lake Stevens, WA
Baugh009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I have heard it's not good to split shocks, but haven't done it myself, so take it for what it's worth..

I guess I always figured they're designed to work together.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
evergreen
AF Enthusiast

i had a set of the edelbrock ias shocks on my old truck and i was very unhappy with them. the bushings they used would make horrible popping and snapping nosies when you hit bumps. i tried running them clean with no grease on the mounts and packing them with grease. no luck either way. i have had my bilsteins for about 2 yrs now without a single problem. i love em!!

i personally wouldn't use different shocks front to rear, although i'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

It's normally not recommended to run different shocks as they are tuned to work as a system. However, some people run the adjustable Rancho 9000 in the back with Bilstiens in the front with good results. Thing with the Bilstiens is that no matter what you throw at them they react appropriately. No need to adust them; they just do what they need to do. I had Rancho RSX shocks for awhile and they were better than stock, but the valving was kind of weird on them. They just never seemed to react quite right...too stiff when they should be soft, and too soft when they should be stiff.

Aren't the Edelbrock shocks made by the same people that make Monroe shocks? Whether or not they are, they seem kind of cheesy to me from what I've seen.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
Baugh009
AF Newbie

Hello,

Yea, we have sunshine again in western Washington! To all that answered my query regarding different shocks front/rear, "Thanks." I gather the consensus is not to. It is remarkable how someone (myself)
so close to sixty can often act significantly less mature: I was enamored with the Doetsch Tech Prerunners for the rear because of good reviews but, primarily, because of their brawny footprint! Ah, well,
at least all of things youth are not wasted on the young.

To Chuck: the Les Swab shock-techie-guy told me that all domestic shocks are made by either Monroe or Gabriel, and that Gabriel makes the IAS to Edelbrock's specifications. Although most reviews of these (IAS) that I have read have been stellar, there have been enough (like that of "Evergreen"), which have documented real problems to cause me to avoid them in favor of Bilstein.

A great Sunday to everyone.

John-in-Lake-Stevens-WA
(just north of "Evergreen")
Baugh009 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail