Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
XTerra Nerd
AF Newbie

DC Power Mod / Interior

Ok, first of all I'm not an electrician or an experienced car modder. I'm a computer guy. I built a mini-ITX computer under my passenger seat, with a 7-inch touchscreen monitor on the dash and an FM transmitter PCI card in the computer.

My issue is that now that I know it all works, I want to hardwire the power into the DC lines running into the center console. I have to have two leads running in there from under the passenger seat.

I can build a computer from the ground up, but this seemingly simple task of wiring into the power is beyond my experience. Has anyone here ever done this? How do I splice into the wire under there?

Speak slowly. I'm new at this
Old 06-20-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
djhornsby
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to djhornsby
Nerd,
you need to get a dc voltage tester which is a pen like thing with a light in it and a wire coming from it with an alligator clip usually on the end. With the alligator clip on a bolt attached to chassis you stick the needle of the pen in a wire to see if it has voltage on it. As far as getting under the console just snap off the square plastic piece around the shifter with the boot. You dont have to remove it just lift it up out of the way. This will give you access to screws under there to get the console up and to the hot wire going to the 12v power outlet on the back of the console. When you find the hot wire you can get a connector called a half tap to splice it in. The connector just crimps into the wires to make a connection or you can just strip the wires and splice them together.
djhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote