Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
coach1299
AF Newbie

New guy with trans questions

Hello all, I'm new here. I hope I'm in the correct place for this question, and that's it's not too technical. This has been haunting me for a while. I tried to get some answers, but other sites were trying to get a credit card # from and suck some money out me before answering, and thought I'd run it by you guys first. Thanks in advance for reading and any help or directions that you might be able to provide. Here's the question:
What should the engine RPM's be on a 1999 Acura CL with a 4 speed auto trans at 70 MPH. I'm currently getting about 2500 RPM"s at 70 MPH while cruising on the interstates. Is this right?" The trans seems to shift ok on acceleration but seems to be somewhat confused on deceleration as to what gear it should drop to or be in. It almost seems more like its slowing down like a manual trans rather than an automatic. Otherwise the car runs and shifts fine. I have millions of miles of car driving experience, and deceleration for this automatic trans seems odd. Car has about 86,000 miles and is very reliable. We often do 6 hour 300 mile trips with it without any trouble, but the trans just seems odd when slowing down. It seems more like an electronic modulation issue with down shifting because it certainly shifts smooth when accelerating and cruises okay, but I'm just not sure if the RPM's are a little high and if it's dropping back into lower gears properly. Wondering if this could be normal on this car? My wife drives this on long trips and I'm a little worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
coach1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: New guy with trans questions

That is exactly how my 1999 Accord behaves. I think this is normal.

On the side note, at this age and mileage I would do ATF drain/refill (if not already done).

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
coach1299
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somick View Post
That is exactly how my 1999 Accord behaves. I think this is normal.

On the side note, at this age and mileage I would do ATF drain/refill (if not already done).

Sam
Sam, thanks so much. It's very reassuring to hear that this could be normal. That's what I thought and was hoping for, and hearing this will give us a lot more confidence with the car. All of the maintainence on the car including the trans is up to date. Did you happen to notice what your cruising RPM's are at 70 MPH? I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier pick up (also with 4 speed auto trans) that gets about the same RPM's as the 99 Acura while cruising on the highway @70, but that's the only comparison that I have as far as foriegn 6 cylinders with 4 speed auto trans. I started to question it because I noticed that the newer vehicles are starting to keep the RPM's down towards 2000 RPMS's and below at 70 MPH, like my newer Silverado pick up (barely gets 1800 RPM's at 70 MPH) but that's because it's a 6 speed auto, but it made me think, so I guess 2500 RPMS's @70 MPH is okay in the Acura. I can feel it shift out through all the gears and the OD in fourth is also felt kicking in, so it's probably right where it should be.
Thanks again for your help.
coach1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
somick
AF Enthusiast

I cannot tell you for sure - my daughter is driving it now, but if I remember correctly it is something below 3000 rpm. At the beginning of the month I will visit my daughter. If I get a chance to driving a car, I will take a look at it.

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to somick For This Useful Post:
coach1299 (10-17-2012)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > General Discussion