Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #1
ecniv67
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ecniv67
Question thermostat

I am having a problem with my wifes 2002 aztek heat only blows warm when driving when idling it blows cold Im thinking its the thermostat but not sure I havent had a thermostat problem in years cant remember if this is a symptom. I also need to know location of thermostat any help on this would be greatly appreciated thx.....
ecniv67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:35 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: thermostat

This sounds like a thermostat problem to me. If you would post the size engine I will help you with the location of the thermostat.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Chameleon-kat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chameleon-kat Send a message via Yahoo to Chameleon-kat
Could be thermostat, but I would tend to think more of low coolant level. Have you had to add any, and is it staying at proper level?
Chameleon-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
ecniv67
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ecniv67
Re: Re: thermostat

[quote=GTP Dad]This sounds like a thermostat problem to me. If you would post the size engine I will help you with the location of the thermostat.[/QUOTEit is a 3.4 2002
ecniv67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

The book I have does not show a good location for the thermostat. The easiest way to find where it is located is to follow the upper radiator hose to back to the engine. The hose will attach to the thermostat housing. The housing should have two bolts that hold it in place. If plan to replace it yourself you will need to drain the radiator down about half way. Remove the thermostat housing and then remove the thermostat. Clean the old gasket off the mating surface and put the thermostat in and replace the gasket. Then replace the housing, tighten but do not overtighten as it may break. You may want to replace the top hose while you have the radiator drained. Refill the radiator and start the vehicle. Allow the vehicle to warm up with the radiator cap off and then refill as necessary. Replace the radiator cap and check for leaks. You should be good to go.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
hydra174
AF Newbie

Just replaced it on my 2002 AWD 3.4L. It is under the cast pipe the connects to the top of the radiator. Major project Autozone offers picture where it is located but very vage on the procedeure. It suggest to remove the exhaust cross over to get at it . I was not able to get any direction on how to do it I did do it without removing anything. you will need flexability and dexterity.
hydra174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
tornadojimbelino
AF Newbie

AZTEK THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT 3.4 PONTIAC ENGINE

It’s Easy once you've done it a few times, but the jobs is still a bitch. Thank god you didn’t blow a head or intake gasket.
Here’s what you’ll need;
A pair of pliers, a flat blade screw driver, WD-40, a 1/4", 7 mm, 10mm and 13mm socket, a 3 inch extension for your ratchet, magnetic pickup tool, and a 4" long 13mm wrench. Buy a cheap one and cut it down yourself. You'll need it for the thermostat housing bolt nearest the firewall.
Drain your coolant first. Remove all electrical connections to the air cleaner assembly back to the throttle body. The air inlet duct is hard to remove and harder to put back on, but with a little force (you won't hurt it), you'll do just fine.
Now, remove the 10mm bolt holding the water line at the top of the water-pump. With the air duct out of the way you can follow the steel line to the throttle body where it is connected via a 13mm nut. Remove the nut and remove the rubber hose clamps that lead to the base of the throttle body. Pull the line away from the throttle body. This line leads to the Heater Core via a rubber hose. It can be moved once you detach and lift it away from the water pump.
Now remove the 10 mm bolt at the base of the throttle body which attaches the throttle cable bracket. Remove the top two 10mm bolts of the same bracket at the top of the throttle body. Remove the throttle cables which attach to the housing. Using a 13mm socket/extension remove the two bolts that hold the throttle body in place. Remove the throttle body.
Now you can see the thermostat housing. Remove the hose attached to the housing.
Using a 13mm socket remove the first bolt, they are both about 2 1/4” long. The other bolt you’ll have to access using the 13mm, 4” long wrench. You may need to use a pair of locking pliers to grip it in order to break it loose. After another ten or so turns you may be able to use your fingertips. It’ll back out. You might want to take it all the way out to make it easier to remove/replace the thermostat.
Reverse and you’re done. The shop charges 4 hours @ $100.00 an hour. There, that wasn’t so bad. Don’t scrimp on a cheap Stant or Douglas thermostat. With the money you’ve saved replace it with a $22.00 OEM. And Flush that system out while you’re at it. DexCool has a bad rap, but I think it’s because nobody flushes their systems out as often as prescribed.
tornadojimbelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Newbie, check the date....post is over 7 years old.....

But you are correct in your procedure......I wouldn't remove the crossover pipe, for the main reason, that in all likely hood, those studs will snap on you, creating more problems.....removing the throttle body is the way to go....do it on a cold engine, and have a replacement throttle body gasket handy....

And yes, now would be the time for a coolant flush......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
tornadojimbelino
AF Newbie

Oldie. The post is 7 years old? I guess nobody looks up stuff that's 7 years old? Oh wait....I did. I never mentioned removing the Exhaust Crossover Pipe, so why did you? If you had a better procedure I'd think you would of posted it before me. You sound like one of those guys who like taking credit where credit isn't due. Stick to helping people out, not stepping on other peoples posts.
tornadojimbelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Boy, you really are a Tornado......all I did was agree with you.....mentioned it was an old post......the old post prior to yours mentioned the crossover pipe, and I was just stating why I wouldn't do it that way, and instead would do it the way you mentioned......

Do you see how many post I have made? think I did them all to take credit for someone else? Grow up.....We come here to help people......Not to get into infantile arguments about who is right or wrong, or trying to steal credit from someone......you had a good post......just, a little late.....

But if that is your thing to jump in on suggestions on real old posts, type away.....I can't think of any one of the regulars on this site that will try to take credit from you....well, except for me.....in your eyes, anyways...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek